Re: The difference between PaySwarm and OpenTransact

On 01/12/2012 02:38 PM, Pelle Braendgaard wrote:
> Dave,
> No where does it mention that OpenTransact is for individual payment
> providers.

To my knowledge, OpenTransact doesn't work across different payment
providers -- and you seem to have said so yourself. That
interoperability isn't there. Instead, it defines a standard API for
working within a single payment provider. You might only have to write a
tool to work with a payment provider once -- such that you can then
switch it to any other payment provider that also implements the same
API, but you can't communicate or initiate commerce across those two
payment providers. You need a separate account with each provider.

PaySwarm, by contrast, makes online payment and commerce largely payment
provider agnostic. A merchant doesn't have to list all of the payment
platforms that they have an account with and then require their
customers to go sign up with them in order for commerce to occur.
OpenTransact makes no effort to change this current problem; it is out
of scope. Similarly, it is out of scope in PaySwarm to tell a particular
payment provider what API that they have to use or what authentication
method they have to do other than what's necessary to facilitate commerce.

OpenTransact seems to want to be a general account delegation method,
where a specific API (what to POST/GET from various URLs) must be
implemented for the specific functions of financial delegation. This
"encompasses only one way of doing things". Though, that's part of what
a standard is about -- you provide only one way of doing things so that
everyone knows what to expect.

PaySwarm doesn't tell payment providers what their API must be for
delegating general access to their customer's accounts. It spec's out
only the delegation that is required for online payments and commerce is
standardized (based on digital signatures). In fact, for more general
access, you could use OpenTransact -- or any other technology. You could
also simply use Oauth2 and invent your own API should you find that
OpenTransact is insufficient. I'm sure that many payment providers will
have more Oauth2 functionality that they'd like to expose on top of
OpenTransact. This also means that many payment providers will provide
their own API access tools anyway, so the people writing tools to access
various payment providers will only need to link to the library for that
payment provider. In other words, most of their tool (what makes it
unique) will be write-once anyway. However, if all the payment providers
out there used OpenTransact, there would only be one library that had to
be linked to their specific (extra-functionality) library, so there is
some benefit there.

> It is about creating a lively open ecosystem of payment providers,
> merchants, marketplaces and other kinds of apps.

I disagree. It is not about an open ecosystem, but rather a closed one
where everyone has to get an account with each payment provider -- or
they can't do business with each other. Instead, my reading is that
OpenTransact is about making it easier for people to write tools that
link to the same library; or for payment providers to cut down on
development time when providing their own libraries. I'm having a hard
time seeing it as more than an API standard because of its
interoperability issue and its silence on the payment silo issue that
exists today.

> The basic building block is a transfer. That transfer could encompass
> one or more transfers with business logic behind the scenes.

Sure, but what I'm hearing is that someone else will have to build a
standard on top of OpenTransact in order to make online commerce truly
open and interoperable. At the same time, they'll have to do so with any
inefficiencies that come from a standard that isn't forward looking
(enough, IMO). There seem to be significant scalability (at least much
is non-optimal) and atomicity issues with using OpenTransact, eg: to
send payments to multiple people for the same asset. Without considering
how applications may want to leverage OpenTransact to engage in more
than just "the basic building block", there are a lot of open questions
as to whether or not "the basic building block" is performant enough. A
MySQL database stores data just fine for the most basic application.
However, trying to get it to scale is a much more complex process. It is
a good idea to think forward sometimes, especially when the use cases
are out there -- and have been out there for many years (MySQL didn't
have this advantage).

Another example of a potential issue with OpenTransact is exactly what
we ran into when designing PaySwarm. You have said that digital
signatures are a good idea and you'd like them to be built into
OpenTransact in the future as an extension. However, if that's true, all
of the same challenges that PaySwarm has solved will come up in that
process. In fact, you may learn the same lessons and decide that Oauth2
duplicates the necessary delegation functionality required to facilitate
commerce. Then you'd be stuck with a system with two methods of
delegation that *must* be implemented in order to be compliant, instead
of just one.

> The biggest problem with PaySwarm is that it really encompasses only
> one way of doing things. Yes it's extendable but the specs makes many
> assumptions that limits it.

PaySwarm only "encompasses one way of doing things" for what it is that
it standardizes. PaySwarm enables interoperability between payment
providers and facilitates online payment and commerce. It only
standardizes what needs to be delegated in order for this to happen and
gets out of your way for everything else. That is not a limitation,
rather just the opposite. What PaySwarm does limit is only what it
standardizes, which solves the challenges that anyone who wants to
engage in open online commerce would otherwise need to solve themselves.
I think it does so rather minimally, without being so basic that it
ignores what I think are very important and long standing use cases for
online commerce.

> I would really like to see a joint set of standards bringing along the
> best of both worlds and that is what I had originally hoped the web
> payments group was about. My big complaint that started this debate
> was a seeming lack of will to do this from the PaySwarm team.

I don't think there's a lack of will to work together at all, I just
think that there's currently a misunderstanding of what the two
standards do and where their strengths and weaknesses are. But that's
what this conversation is about.

--
Dave Longley
CTO