Re: Web Credits Writeup

On 8 February 2012 11:02, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 02:54 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> The prototype of the first app should be available here:
>>
>> http://opentabs.data.fm/
>>
>> Please be aware that it's still alpha-ish code
>

> Melvin - neat demo. :)
>
> I tried out all of the functionality on the page. Seems to work for me
> for the most part. I've created an IOU - now what can I do with it? Is
> there any way to sync IOUs between participants?

Sync should happen behind the scenes in this case.

Clearing, ripple, escrow are interesting workflows that I'd love to
explore.  The first cut is just a record keeping system, but hopefully
useful in itself.

> Looking at the javascript, it seems as if I should be able to retrieve
> your IOUs to me?
>
> var walletURIs = this.getWalletURIs(this.user);

Each user has one or more wallets.  I've implemented a very basic
algorithm to find wallets in a well known location.  But ultimately
the user will decide where they want to keep their wallets.

> Could I register a payment IRI for me with your OpenTabs server? So,
> whenever you enter an IOU for me, it could go to my OpenTabs server and
> give you my public payment details? I'm trying to figure out how
> discovery works.

Discovery will basically work according to the "Open World Assumption".

The app will initiate a probe sequence based on what it knows to find
user preferences.

After authentication the app knows a little about:
The environment it runs in
The authenticated user
The project home page

>From this information the app has to intelligently 'query the web' to
find out more about the user.  So webfinger, linked data, well known
registries and default fallbacks are the strategy.

Ultimately the user should have complete control.

> It might be good if you had some way of demonstrating the distributed
> nature of the solution. That is, show the person how entering an IOU for
> someone on the page results in the IOU appearing on some other page on
> the Web... or, have some application that makes the Test Dummy create an
> IOU for the person using the demo.

If you log in with the counter party that you sent money to, you'll
see the credit in their account.  This can be done, for example, with
browserid.

Hopefully more demos, screencasts, docs coming soon ...

> Looks good so far... :)

Thanks! :)