Re: Occupy Wall Street and the purpose of this group

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:06:34 -0700
To: public-webpayments@w3.org
On 10/12/11 10:07 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> I think the best way forward for this group is to try to help the people
> who are struggling and build something that can help them. A universal
> payment standard for the Web would enable the following types of
> businesses and endeavors, to name a few:...[snip]
.....> I think people will be more receptive to that - anger can only
take you
> so far... but making the world a better place - that will take us much
> further.

Great post Manu, and particularly on the focus on the solution to
problems; I completely agree. There are now a very large and growing
number of people aware that the financial system itself is somehow
grossly inadequate. Very few viable solutions have captured anyone's
attention; I believe because most of them are replaying of things that
have failed in the past and many of these are now immediately
recognized as such and not followed further.

What this group is doing -- attempting to do, doing -- is one that
seems to me to be fundamentally different and potentially a
'revolution'. And it would be a revolution that would occur not
because of destruction but because of evolution and orderly
replacement; old systems would merely atrophy and disappear because a
better method had appeared.

(I'm still uncertain whether this can actually occur successfully
without the introduction of a CCN-like transfer protocol, but I think
almost everything you're doing here needs to be done regardless and
no-one in CCN is doing it yet -- as far as I can determine from
watching the videos of their community meeting. I'll put more about
that in a separate post; I think it bears watching closely because
there are things happening there: for example the beginnings of a
CCN-node creation tool via HTML5 browser plug-in using Javascript;
this has been initiated on github (see
https://github.com/truedat101/ccn4b#readme) and was presented at the
community meeting.)

Steven Rowat