Re: The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern

Manu, thank you for sharing this openly.

As a co-chair of the WG I don't believe it would be appropriate to take a
public position on what you have said. We have had some private discussion
and I am always eager to learn from experienced W3C members like yourself,
how we might improve the way we are operating.

My only comment would be to encourage the Web Payment CG to continue
engaging in the process.

   1. We have early drafts of a number of specifications but nothing
   proposed for some of the most important deliverables such as the HTTP API
   and extensibility guidelines. I am hopeful that you and the CG will put
   forward proposals on how we will address these requirements.

   2. The browser API specification is still very immature. There are a
   great number of unanswered questions and issues that still need to be
   resolved. The final browser API specifications need to reflect the
   consensus of the WG of which you, and a number of other CG participants,
   are members so I encourage you to continue submitting PR's against the
   existing documents where you believe your proposals have technical merit.

   3. A particularly urgent need is for the WG to get detailed proposals on
   how the registration and integration of Payment Apps will work and how we
   can guarantee that there is a level playing field for Payment App
   publishers. I'd encourage the CG to use the work it has already done on
   this and make a concrete proposal.

Adrian