Re: Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2016-03-29

On 03/29/2016 07:40 PM, Kaliya IDwoman wrote:
> You don't know me....but you might have heard of me..I'm Identity
> Woman.

Many of us, including myself, know and value your work in the identity
space. :)

> I am a bit surprised to hear OpenID Connect and SAML as failures in
> the space - they actually work and are widely adopted.

Just to be clear, we're not saying OpenID Connect and SAML are failures
- they're very successful in certain areas. However, they do not (yet)
address the problem statement that we've identified:

http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/charter/vcwg-draft.html#problem

> They provide ways to exchange various types of information about
> people between different business entities.

Yes, but we're looking for portable verifiable claims - something akin
to sending a digital driver's license issued by the state of Florida,
for example. Do you have an example of SAML or OpenID Connect
successfully doing that across various industries?

> The problem you are seeking to solve is not an easy one to solve and
> there have been many, many different attempts. There are some
> interesting ongoing efforts that are different but related such as
> the Trust Elevation TC at OASIS.

+1, fully agreed that it's not an easy one to solve and that there have
been many attempts in the area over the years.

> I think it would be VERY VERY VERY advisable to have a few of the
> most active and most keen members of this committee come out to the
> Internet Identity Workshop April 26-28 in Mountain View to float what
> you are thinking about doing and get substantive meaningful input
> from the community of people who have worked in this problem
> space...some of them for 20+ years and within the IIW for 11 years.
> So there is a huge brain trust to draw on.

Fully agreed, and we've already done a number of surveys and interviews
with people that have been deeply involved in the space such as Dick
Hardt, Christopher Allen, Drummond Reed, and a number of other folks in
the space.

http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/charter/VCTF-final-report.html#h.474cckqta3ic

That's not to say we're done getting input yet and would love to have
your thoughts (and anyone you'd want to point us towards) on what we're
doing.

Drummond Reed and Christopher Allen will be attending IIW and can
outline what we're attempting to achieve. We sat down with Phil Windley
a month or so ago and talked about what we're trying to do as well.

> I strongly suggest that believing you can solve "it" whatever you
> define as that without tapping the community knowledge pool at IIW is
> a fools errand.

Fully agreed, which is why we've already reached out and hope to do more
collaboration soon.

In the meantime, would you be willing to read over the draft charter:

http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/charter/vcwg-draft.html

FAQ:

http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/charter/faq.html

and use cases:

http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/use-cases/

and let us know what you think?

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/