Re: Comments on VCTF Report

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 8:03 AM, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/17/2016 08:56 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> My sense from reading the materials and your response, is that there
>> was not consensus from the interviewees on where to start work. You
>> wrote "No one said don't proceed with work in this area.” and "No one
>> said data model and syntax shouldn’t be worked on.” I would hope for
>> support for a particular direction from the interviewees, not just
>> lack of opposition.
>
> There was broad consensus with the problem statement and that we should
> work on something at W3C.

I am not sure I would draw that inference. I looked at the five references the report puts forward to support that position (section 6.3) and I think they’re too weak to say there’s broad consensus that “we should work on something at W3C”. In many cases, the interviewer asked questions in the form of “do you think the W3C could do the work”, which is a very different question to “do you think the W3C should do the work”.

What I’m really trying to suggest is the VCTF has formed one interpretation of its data, but I don’t think the data is strong enough to suggest that interpretation is the only one that could be reached.