Re: [payment arch] Credentials (was: Negotiation of payment terms)

On 05/13/2015 02:32 PM, David Jackson wrote:
> While this isn’t really part of the “payment” – I think we need to
> be thinking of how the merchants of various types will want to handle
> the relationship and how much “needs” to be known for the sale until
> trust is established.  This differs for businesses which generally
> only do one sale to the client (or very few).

Just a few thoughts on this thread, which I think is great and
demonstrates that we need to think more deeply about the role that
credentials play in the architecture that we'll be proposing by the end
of summer.

1. Are we all using the same definition of "credential"? I suggest we
re-use the definition that the Web Payments CG and the Credentials CG
have painstakingly created over the last 2+ years:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nq543-Am1hQUIZ2hhzAFl8KexvIEBwDDc_f3Ikz1opQ/edit

2. I don't think anyone is proposing that you need to be fully
identified (give me your government-issued ID card, or you can't have
this candy bar!) to make a purchase. We're talking about matching the
level of trust needed to initiate a payment with the importance of the
transaction. Candy bars can be purchased anonymously, liquor and other
controlled substances require that the merchant and government know more
about you.

3. We need to be careful about what falls into the category of a
credential (coupons, proofs of age, proofs of address, government-issued
ID cards, and loyalty cards that aren't also payment instruments) and
things that are not credentials (payment instruments and digital receipts).

For those that are not familiar with the Credentials work that's
happening in parallel to this group, make sure you read the draft
executive summary:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nq543-Am1hQUIZ2hhzAFl8KexvIEBwDDc_f3Ikz1opQ/edit

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.