RE: Web Payments IG - Payments Agent Task Force Meeting Friday, March 27th

Hello all,

After some discussions on the 'big picture' of the web payments architecture and the 'wallet-oriented' architecture work I am trying to contribute, David asked me to create a list of 'things that would go into the wallet' - including those outside the immediate payment context. So I did. The result is inconsistent as hell and barley structured. Contents also vary between concrete specimens and abstract  use cases. However, most of them have a very solid background - several have already been implemented in my team. I was surprised by the length... but I invite you to contribute own ideas or concretizations of individual topics, where you think this might help to illustrate things better. E.g. I added a few Germany-specific solutions because I know them best; feel free to add examples from other regions.

Potential types of wallet contents, according to 'use' (not 'provision') scenario

Category

Product

Comm

Sec

Remarks

Payment

Closed loop payments

NFC

any

for enterprises, stadiums, entertainment parks, etc.

Crypto currency

online

Software

e.g. Bitcoin

EMVCo tokenization

NFC

SE

EMVCo tokenization

NFC

HCE

German direct debit 'Pay at Match'

NFC

SE

German direct debit 'Pay at Match'

NFC

HCE

to be developed

MasterCard PayPass

NFC

SE

MasterCard MasterPay

online

SE

VISA PayWave

NFC

SE

VISA Online Pay

online

SE

Vouchers

Prepaid/ Gift cards

NFC

SE

Voucher redemption

any

SE/ online

Payment VAS

Coupons EAN-based

optical

None

QR or barcode - or even keying in the number

Coupons EAN-based

NFC

None

e.g. GSMA VAS protocol

Coupons EAN-based

Plain ID

None

Coupons open wallet based

Key-in

None

TAN-based for multiple coupons at once

Coupons SmartTap-based

NFC

SE

Isis/ Softcard solution

Loyalty - point collecting card

online

any

Loyalty - point collecting card

optical

any

Loyalty - point collecting card

NFC

any

Plain customer number etc.

Plain ID

none

Shop check-in/ check-out

NFC/ BT

any

Sponsored offers

any

any

e.g. free parking upon purchase

Viral coupons

any P2P

SE

VIRALITY product by T-Systems/ LMU Munich spin-off

Tickets

Airline tickets

optical

Software

should change once better technology is available

Event tickets

optical

Software

e.g. CTS Eventim, Ticketbox

MIFARE-based tickets

NFC

SE

MIFARE DESFire tickets

NFC

SE

OSPT-based tickets

NFC

SE

Parking tickets

NFC

any

e.g. Contipark

Public transport tickets

NFC

SE

e.g. German VDV-KA

Turnstile tickets

NFC

any

e.g. SKIDATA

Credentialing

Age verification

NFC

SE

e.g. using biometry for personal authentication

Diploma, etc.

any

any

e.g. Open Badges

User-centric profile card

online

any

User data portability in virtual card

Voting paper

any

SE

Keys

Airline lounge access on loyalty

NFC

any

to be developed

Car keys

NFC

any

e.g. Continental

Coporate building access

NFC

any

Hotel room smart cards

NFC

any

e.g VingCard, and many other brands

Housing locks and keys

NFC

SE

Rental car keys

NFC

SE

ID/ AuthN

Club card

any

any

FIDO Authenticator

NFC/ on-device

SE

to be developed

GSMA Mobile Connect

SE

implicit connection, not too useful

Kantara UMA

online

Software

A 'user-friendly' implementation for transferrable UMA access credentials

OAuth Token

online

e.g. via OpenID Connect

One-Time Password Generator

any

SE

e.g. RSA key fobs, T-Systems OTP on SIM, etc.

Privacy with attribute-based credentials

any

SE

EU project ABC4Trust

User name/ Password

online

Software

VASCO Authentication

NFC/ on-device

SE/ Chipset

options under discussion

Other

Customer service tickets

online

any

Gamer profile card

online/ on-device

any

Gamer score card

online/ on-device

any

Personalized DRM

any

SE

to be developed

Pick-up slips

any

any

Smart Home permission control

any

any

fine grained access control for families and guests

Software permission/ DRM

NFC

SE

e.g. at media player, PC, NAS, ...

WiFi access vouchers

online

Software

for businesses as well as for private use

This list is far from complete.

Often more combinations of Comm/ Sec are conceivable.

In particular, some brands are named as examples, where many competitors might exist, using other technologies.

Combinations with biometry, voice, iris, etc. are possible.

Perhaps we can spend a few minutes in our upcoming call...

Cheers,

                Jörg