Re: [use cases] Added Discovery of Offer micro use cases

On 03/12/2015 09:47 AM, Telford-Reed, Nick wrote:
> I think the structure of this works pretty well now. I'm glad to see
> Identity making it into the assumptions section - but I still feel
> that phases of  discovery and authentication of ID should be make
> more explicit in the doc.

Yes, completely agree. I haven't been able to get to the
discovery/authentication of ID use cases yet, but once I do, you'll
hopefully see several micro use cases added.

With my Credentials Community Group Chair hat on, that community is
going to be pushing very hard to make sure we put in exactly the sorts
of use cases you're alluding to.

> Conversely, I'm unsure about the confirmation of funds step which
> feels very rooted in the traditional cards model. There are plenty
> of payment instruments which do not have this step, particularly
> where one or more credentials have been exchanged which stand instead
> as a guarantee that an exchange of value will occur (for example a
> cheque guarantee card) or where the request to pay and value transfer
> are simultaneous (ELV, cash).

Note this text:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webpayments/raw-file/default/latest/use-cases/index.html#an-overview-of-the-payment-phases

"For example, some, but not all, purchases involve a proof of funds or
proof of hold. ACH and SEPA payment schemes generally do not support the
verification of available funds, thus in these payment schemes the
particular proof of funds step is skipped."

The meaning is a bit vague/buried. Do you have any particular suggestion
text you'd like to replace/augment the bit above with?

> I'm struggling to make more than one WPIG meeting a week (and
> sometimes not even that) - is it ok to contribute by email like
> this?

Yes definitely ok. In fact, the bulk of the work of W3C groups are done
via email. So, please send in comments via email, it's one of the best
ways to guarantee your changes will go into the doc. Document editor's
typically mark emails as containing "editorial changes" in their email
client and process those emails w/ a fine-toothed comb.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.