Re: A (controversial) proposal for what should be in/out of scope

On Wednesday 2015-06-17 14:47 -0400, Evan Schwartz wrote:
> You're right that we're interested in enabling merchants to collect
> payments from users on the web, but they already do that today.
>
> We need to get more specific about what problem we're trying to solve. One
> of the browser vendor reps made a good point yesterday that most web
> payments today are made by filling out forms. If we're talking about
> improving this, we're talking about replacing filling out forms with
> something else. If we're proposing a replacement for something, we need
> very compelling reasons for people to switch.

Some reasons to switch that I'd offer might be:

 * less work for the end user to make a payment (typing in of credit
   card details, etc.), which should increase conversion for the
   merchant.  Probably not "one click" or "one tap", but a lot
   closer to it than we are today.

 * improved security and perhaps even privacy for the user through a
   system that doesn't send their credit card number to the website,
   giving them (hopefully, if the UI explains the model well) more
   confidence in making payments to payees who they might not trust
   with their credit card number (I see this as particularly useful
   when purchasing online goods rather than physical goods, e.g., to
   pay a small amount to read the rest of a news article after
   seeing the first two paragraphs)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,