Re: Support for Verifiable Claims

To be clear - I share Tantek's concerns.  I think somewhere my position
might have been misunderstood as "anti-verifiable claims work," which is
not correct.

My concern is not that I don't think enough organizations think something
should be done about verifying claims; my concern is about a pattern we've
had in creating working groups to address abstract problem spaces, without
concrete plans and concrete implementations.  The reason we've been
championing incubation of new standards in CGs lately has been, as I put it
at the TPAC meeting, to enable efforts to fail gracefully - that is, to
avoid prematurely baked an abstract solution into a "standard" before it's
been fire-tested in the real world.

I believe quite firmly that the role of incubations is to turn abstract
solutions into concrete proposals, and test them out in the ecosystem
before baking them into a Recommendation.  My biggest concern right now, as
Tantek laid out, is that "support" that is not a direct process of
"prototype, implement and ship", does not seem to lead to a concrete,
real-world solution.  This seems to lead in the direction of designing an
ecosystem on paper, baking it into a specification, and then deploying the
ecosystem; that seems to repeat the XHTML mistake, to me.

Before it is claimed to the contrary, this should NOT be translated to
"lack of support from browser manufacturers = no WG".  It should be read as
"we shouldn't build specs to create ecosystems - we should build specs to
support ecosystems that develop."

I would feel much more positively about this charter if 1) there were
commitments to implement some product of the WG, and its deliverables were
more concrete, and 2) it was explained why we NEED a WG here - i.e., what
wall is the ecosystem hitting by doing work in an incubation?