Re: Support for Verifiable Claims

> Verifiable Claims appears to be a place where we can define the data required to address this use case, and make

> that data interoperable across a variety of devices and situations.  We look forward to assisting in any way we can.

Thanks, that’s a helpful explanation of a payment use case. I do understand your enthusiasm and desire for a successful standard in this space

My lingering concern is that it’s not clear how creating a W3C working group helps your industry address that use case.  W3C is a *voluntary* standards organization, it can’t decree standards. Its effectiveness comes solely from the readiness of real-world products and services to adopt its Recommendations.   In the education scenarios, proponents explained that there is already an ecosystem of companies that use badges to certify claimed credentials, and argued that a W3C Recommendation could credibly smooth out the interoperability gaps.  That persuaded me (personally) that the Rec Track Readiness criteria https://www.w3.org/Guide/standards-track/ have been met for this scenario.

But the arguments for the payments scenario still sounds a more “aspirational” than “empirical” to me (see the link above). Who are the product/service providers that have the market presence to make the spec succeed in the convenience store industry, and are early adopters of similar approaches?  Does the draft spec have momentum with implementers and early adopters?  Or is the hope that by creating a WG, W3C can boot up an ecosystem around the draft VC data model?

This is why Chris, Tantek, and I have been so argumentative about this WG proposal: As a participant said about the success of TCP/IP over the supposed OSI networking standard in the 1980s “standards should be discovered, not decreed”.<https://books.google.com/books?id=H6ZzQhM0vSYC&pg=PA254&lpg=PA254&dq=standards+discovered+not+decreed+wizards+stay+up+late&source=bl&ots=I9mXuTndZl&sig=KPIDQyLlzG5rAVxOLDF3CLHPkM4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis5umuq6HQAhVjjVQKHRlPBdIQ6AEIGzAA#v=onepage&>  We want W3C working groups to be successful, and the “if we Recommend it, it will be a Standard” philosophy, which guided the creation of all too many WGs over the history of W3C, has not been a predictor of success.

I’m happy to change my opinion of the Rec-track readiness of the VC payments scenario as I have with the education scenario, if someone can point to evidence that key players have “discovered” a similar solution and a W3C WG would be the catalyst to make it more real.  But if you hope that W3C can decree a solution that will succeed by force of W3C’s authority, I’m going to suggest that the VC community keep getting buy-in for scenarios in the IG, and building implementation momentum in CGs and open source projects, before a putting this in scope of a WG.