RE: Request for informal review of Verifiable Claims WG Charter&In-Reply-To=<56E8721B.40806@digitalbazaar.com>&References=<56E8721B.40806@digitalbazaar.com>

> I am the AC representing Blockstream—we just joined the W3C. So this is my first email to the AC list ;-)
Welcome!  It’s great to see companies doing cutting edge work choosing to collaborate at W3C.

> I've met with IBM about the Hyperledger ledger, and this topic came up several times as problems with existing standards. If not W3C, where?
I was at the Blockchain lunch discussion at the recent AC meeting, and I recall the Hyperledger participants saying the open questions are about “what” to standardize and “when” to do so, not “where”.   (Arnaud should correct me if I misunderstood).

> One of the responses to this review request suggested that "what is lacking in the proposal is
> persuasive evidence that yet another standards effort would have a better outcome this time."
> Unfortunately, the other standards efforts do not emphasize decentralized self-sovereign identity.
> Yet there is clearly an increasing demand for this that I am seeing in the blockchain community
That sounds like a response I made, so let me clarify.  Nobody is disputing that de-centralized identity is an interesting use case or that blockchain technology is a potentially fruitful way forward.  My response is answering the “when” question as “not now” – it’s ready for community building, use case definition, spec brainstorming, prototyping…. But not standardization. W3C has a number of ways to collaborate on on technologies before they are ready for the standards track – Workshops, Community Groups, Interest Groups, Business Groups …and the essence of our feedback is “one or more of the other mechanisms to explore Verifiable Claims at W3C is the right way to proceed at this time.”

In my experience, W3C working groups are seldom successful unless they start with a solid draft spec and participation from those who must implement and deploy a spec for it to be a real standard.  There are exceptions that started from a “blank sheet of paper” such as XQuery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQuery, but that process took from WG formation in 1999 until the first Recommendation in 2007. Plus that WG had strong participation from the commercial database vendors as well as key open source implementers, and had 3 co-chairs with long track records in database standards.    I don’t see either of these preconditions – solid draft spec and/or really strong community of the likely implementers – in the Verifiable Claims proposal.  That’s doesn’t mean it will never be ready for a WG, just that it’s not YET ready IMHO.

You’re free to disagree of course and persuade the team and other members to start a WG, but consider:  the formal Working Group process is historically better at polishing rough specs than forging new ones. The WG process implies that those who don’t like a proposal can/should formally object and block progress until everyone agrees to a way forward or there is guidance from the W3C Director. There are better ways of handing the high-level architectural disagreements that are inevitable in the early stages of a project.  For example, the Web Platform Incubator Community Group http://wicg.github.io/admin/charter.html  defines its decision process as follows:

It is the Chairs' responsibility to ensure that the decision process is fair, respects the consensus of the CG, and does not unreasonably favour or discriminate against any group participant or their employer. With that said, the group favours forward motion and dissent will not be allowed to block work on a spec.

If substantial disagreement remains (e.g. the group is divided), the Committers will continue with their preference. The issue should be recorded as decided without consensus. Individuals who disagree with the Committer's choice are strongly encouraged to take ownership of their objection by taking ownership of an alternative fork. This is explicitly allowed (and preferred to blocking progress) with a goal of letting implementation experience inform which spec is ultimately chosen by the group to move ahead with.

This is just how things work in one community group, but it is based on the experience of numerous open source projects, including (I believe) those that build 3 of the principal browser engines.  The Verifiable Claims community is under no obligation to adopt that sort of conflict resolution policy, but it’s worth carefully considering and learning from how it works in the WICG and the OSS projects that build much of the web infrastructure, as the community decides how to pursue its vision under the W3C umbrella.