Re: Mobile payments and Connectivity issue

On 2015-05-04 14:54, Erik Anderson wrote:
>> Anyway, I wouldn't design a mobile payment system so that it requires
>> Internet connectivity.  Pushing [an encrypted locally signed
>> transaction + a URL to the bank] through the merchant seems like a
>> viable approach both for Web and Local payments.  Assuming that the
>> merchant also is off-line is IMO bending things one step too much.
>
> W3C = Browser not a mobile phone.

Since mobile "App"-based wallets seem to be the core of commercial activities in
this space an important task ought to be finding ways to connect those to the Web
although the W3C has turned a blind eye on the App phenomena:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2015Apr/0053.html

> At a certain point device limitations and internet connectivity are
> major factors of what kind of transaction is possible.
>
> 1) Confirmation code to a merchants POS
> 2) High value transaction requiring a 2nd confirmation step, biometric
> matching, or real-time regulatory reporting
> 3) Delivery of an eReceipt
> 4) International payment
> 5) Transaction requiring a currency clearing house. Say EURO to USD or
> Bitcoin to
> 6) 1 time use electronic coupon or usage of loyalty points for a
> transaction
> 7) Lets not discount the back end payment systems require connectivity
> with their users.
>
> Now a days connectivity is required for a lot of our lives.

True.

> BTLE, NFC, visual payment systems like QRCodes are still "connected"
> just differently. Nearly all use cases require a "connectivity" of some
> sort.

Yes, but Internet connectivity differs from BLE and NFC since it is not only
depending on the device but on radio conditions and data roaming. It would IMO
be a disadvantage mandating Internet connectivity (on the user-side), unless it
is absolutely necessary in order to perform a transaction.  For the mobile wallet
NFC/BLE scheme I outlined, it may indeed be possible getting away from Internet
connectivity without crippling functionality.

> In the case of where connectivity is an issue I expect new technologies
> like a Wocket Wallet will be used instead. If all else fails, punt to
> the standard card transaction.

What the "backup" solution will be is an interesting question.  It might
be cash as well. We'll see...

Anders