Re: ISSUE-126 (Revisit Datatypes): A new proposal for the real <-> float <-> double conundrum

From: Rob Shearer <rob.shearer@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:59:28 +0100
Cc: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>, public-webont-comments@w3.org
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
>> The integer data domain is a subset of the number data domain.
>> There is absolutely no need for a float data domain. OWL
>> implementations should support particular values encoded using the
>> `xsd:int` and `xsd:float` lexical representations. These values are
>> all in the number domain.
>
> This goes against existing implementation and use, wherein xsd:float
> is disjoint from xsd:int.

Cerebra did not make them disjoint. Neither does KAON2. And testing
reveals that neither does FaCT++. The only reasoner I can find that
makes them disjoint is Pellet. This sheds a lot of light on your
definition of "existing implementation and use".

If you intend to attempt to enshrine bugs in Clark & Parsia products
in the OWL standard, I suggest that you do it as a representative of
Clark & Parsia and not as a representative of Manchester, which has an
interest in FaCT++.

-rob