bug in RDF compatible semantics for owl:AnnotationProperty

From: mei@mi.fu-berlin.de
Subject: maybe it is a bug for owl:AnnotationProperty
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:34:34 +0100

> Dear Peter F. Patel-Schneider,
>
> hello,
>
> i am reading your papers OWL (RDF-Compatible) MT Semantics
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-absyn/rdfs.html, and i found a very small bug about
> owl:AnnotationProperty.
>
> it was mentioned as I(rdfs:comment) is in IOAP, and the subject-value of
> annotation properties is in IOT (namely owl:Thing).

[...]

> Now, the "wine" ontology has the rdfs:comment as one of owl:AnnotationProperty,
> but "wine" is an ontology not owl:Thing which should be disjoint with
> owl:Ontology in OWL DL interpretation. Of course, in OWL Full interpretation,
> it is OK :-)
>
> maybe, Values for annotation properties could be much less unconstrained as:
>  owl:AnnotationProperty EXTi(e)<=(IOTuIX)x(IOTuLVi)
>
> maybe, about the above, i made some stupid mistakes :-) if so, i am very very
> sorry for bothering you!
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best wishes,
> Sincerely yours, Jing Mei

I believe that you are correct.  I wonder how this bug managed to escape
attention for so long.

I believe that the appropriate correction is to expand the extension of
annotation properties even further, to include all the appropriate
syntactic categories.

   EXTi(e) <= (IOT u IOC u IDC u IOOP u IODP u IOAP u IOXP u IX) x (IOT u LVi)

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research