RE: OWL Web Ontology Language Reference Editorial Comments

Lee,

Thanks for the great and incredibly detailed comments.
Listed below I enumerate how they were handled.

- Mike

- Table of Contents - "4.3" shows up twice

Fixed.

- Section 1.1., OWL DL bullet, recommend "computable and decidable"
  instead of "computed and decidability"

That is not the structure. It is "computational completeness .. and
decidability ...".  The "computed" is in a parenthetical note.

- Section 1.2, The examples section 2.1 and 2.2 suggest that the
  document is primarily describing the wine ontology, but then in the
  middle of 3.1.1, we start discussing classes that are in the food
  ontology.  The reader should be warned in the last sentence of 1.2
  that examples from the two ontologies are intermixed.

Hmmm.  I think we address this enough in the the sentence
"All of the examples presented in this document are taken from the
ontologies contained in wine.rdf and food.rdf, except those marked
with 'not' in the bottom right corner."

- Section 2.1, paragraph that starts "As an aid", recommend
  changing "ENTITY" to "XML ENTITY".

Entities are not necessarily XML entities.

- Section 2.1, use of xml:base never explained

You are right.  It doesn't get talked about until 2.2.  But I think
I'll leave it.

- Section 3.1.1, paragraph beginning "Another form" says that
  rdf:about="#x" syntax permits the extension of the imported
  definition of x.  However, I would think that if x was imported, we
  would have to provide its full URI since it's part of an attribute
  value.

Good catch.  Done.

- Section 3.1.1, paragraph beginning "In the world", recommend
  changing "both" to "each" to avoid confusing reader.

The way I read "both" it implies that the classes are defined in one
other ontology, which is what the example shows.  "Each" would be ok,
and is more general, but doesn't match the case where they are both
defined in food.rdf.

- Section 3.1.3, levels of representation bullet, recommend removing
  "It is well known that"

Done.

- Section 3.1.3., paragraph beginning "Note that the same", recommend
  rewording second sentence to: "Each instance of Wine in the example
  ontology could be designated in a differently designed ontology to
  be the class consisting"

Changed to "In an alternate ontology, each instance of <tt>Wine</tt>
in the current ontology could instead designate a class consisting".

- Section 3.1.3, paragraph beginning "In a similar vein", last
  sentence says "as discussed above".  I couldn't find the discussion
  above.

Generally, it does seem to be talked about above, without having a
nice discrete place to reference.

- Section 3.1.3, paragraph beginning "Adding that the wine", second to
  last sentence, Wine should either be generic with small W or Courier
  font to identify as the Wine class in the example.

We have stepped out of the onotology to talk about what might be
possible.  So I chose not to reference classes.

- Section 3.2.1, paragraph starting "Notice how", recommend rewording
  last sentence to "while those that contain others (have things
  LocatedIn them) must be regions."

Leaving as is because of possible confusion what is the range vs
domain.

- Section 3.2.1, paragraph starting "It is now" states that concept of
  regions and WineGrapes can now be introduced, but never expands with
  regions.

Deleted region text.

- Section 3.2.2, first paragraph, recommend changing "individuals to
  datatypes" to "individuals to RDF literals and XMLS datatypes"

Done

- Section 3.2.2, first paragraph, "use of simple types" to "use of a subset
of simple types"

Since its expanded on in detail in the next paragraph, I left it as is.

- Section 3.2.2, second paragraph, first sentence, "many" to "most"

Done

- Section 3.2.2, paragraph beginning "Datatype properties",
  "xdt:positiveInteger" should be "&xsd;positiveInteger"

Done

- Section 3.3.2, recommend removing parenthesis from second paragraph.

Done

- Section 3.4.2 (and previously), I'm unclear why the
  nonNegativeInteger datatype is explicitly stated in the cardinality
  properties since their range is already restricted to
  nonNegativeIntegers

I believe this is simply the syntax (bulky as it is), for data values.

- Section 3.4.2, paragraph starting with "Cardinality expressions",
  it's unclear whether "cardinality expressions" is meant to include
  minCardinality and maxCardinality.

minC and maxc are cardinality expressions, so yes.

- If it is, then cases of min 0,
  max 0, and card 0 should be added to second sentence.  If it's meant
  to only refer to Cardinality itself, the descriptions in second
  sentence are misleading because the only cases are 0 and 1.

The point of the statement "This permits ..." is that those were the
special cases that were felt necessary for Lite.

- Section 5.1.3, last word, "France" should be in regular font since
  it's not used in the example, but refers to "#FrenchRegion" which
  is.

Done

- Section 5.3, first sentence, recommend changing "constructor" to
  "property".

Hmm.  Changed to "construct" to tie in to Reference.

- Cross Reference appears to be missing AnnotationProperty (discussed in
2.2)

Done.

- Cross Reference appears to be missing OntologyProperty, dataRange,
  x (seeAlso), and x (isDefinedBy) (unless they've been removed and I
haven't
  stayed up to date).

Done for OntologyProperty and dataRange.  Did not include a cross
reference to the rdf constructs that are not mentioned in the guide.

- Mike

Michael K. Smith (+1-512-404-6683)