Re: "Transitive over" properties

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:13:05 -0500
To: Mikhail Khlopotov <mik@chel.com.ru>, public-webont-comments@w3.org

At 5:56 PM +0500 1/4/04, Mikhail Khlopotov wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to use OWL in my research, in which I need a way to
>represent constraints on a semantic network, and while studying OWL
>and analyzing it's completeness, I found no direct way to express
>"transitive over" properties, I mean properties, which are not
>transitive by themselves, but are transitive over another property.
>For example "worksFor" may be considered transitive over
>"consistsOf", if we have a company consisting of departments.
>
>Are there any ways in current OWL to express such a relations? I
>suppose, they're vital for part-whole relationship.
>
>Hope, this message is clear to understand ;-)
>
>Sincerely, Mikhail Khlopotov
>South Ural State University, Russia.

Miikhail - this is an interesting question, and Jos de Roo has moved
it to the www-rdf-logic@w3.org mailing list, as that is a good place
to discuss such things.   Let me give a factual answer her however,
just for clarity.  There is currently no mechanism in OWL for
expressing what you are suggesting directly.
  - Jim Hendler

--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)