RE: Call for comments on your implementation experience. WebODE

Hi all,

This is our experience of providing OWL DL support to the WebODE ontology
engineering platform.

- The effort needed to implement a translation system between OWL DL and
WebODE was around 2.5 man months, taking into account that we had already
studied in depth the OWL language and its evolution during the last year.
This effort can be further decomposed in the following:
* 1 month for creating an ad hoc Java API to read OWL documents. We must
remark that by the time when we started its implementation there were no
APIs available for OWL. We used the Jena support (version 1.6.1) for RDF.
Our work consisted in transforming the OWL document into a set of RDF
triples, using ARP, and using RDQL to define the queries that allowed us to
fill in the corresponding OWL model in our API.
* 1 month for defining the transformations needed to import OWL ontologies
into WebODE, taking into account that they are based on different KR
formalisms.
* 1/2 month for defining the transformations needed to export OWL ontologies
from WebODE.

- With regard to the OWL documentation, it was fine, taking into account
that we had already a deep knowledge of DAML+OIL. The main problems that we
faced were due to the evolution of the language while we were developing the
tool (we started around February/March 2003).

- Finally, regarding tools, we used Jena 1.6.1. No need to say that we would
have used Jena 2 if it had been available by the time when we started
working, since much of the work we needed to do was then done by them.

Regards,
	Oscar Corcho
	Ontological Engineering Group
	Universidad Politecnica de Madrid