Re: Restriction, DeprecatedClass in OWL Language Reference 31 March 2003

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:32:56 +0200
To: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@cdepot.net>
CC: webont-comments at W3C <public-webont-comments@w3.org>

Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> Appendix B declares two Classes (Restriction, Deprecated Class)
> to be subClasses of Class.
>
> <rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Restriction">
>   <rdfs:label>Restriction</rdfs:label>
>   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Class"/>
> </rdfs:Class>
> <rdfs:Class rdf:ID="DeprecatedClass">
>   <rdfs:label>DeprecatedClass</rdfs:label>
>   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&rdfs;Class"/>
> </rdfs:Class>
>
> I think this is an error.
> If it's not an error, what is the explanation?

Thanks for your comment.

We do not think it is an error. These are built-in metaclasses, the
instances of which are classes. Thus, owl:Restriction and
owl:DeprecatedClass are defined as a subclass of the general metaclass
rdfs:Class (owl:Class is a subclass of rdfs:Class).

Please let us know whether this response is satisfactory.

Guus Schreiber

--
NOTE: new affiliation per April 1, 2003

Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718