Re: owl:allValuesFrom and rdfs:domain

At 10:38 +0100 12/18/03, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>I need some help from experts in logic ...
>
>I've sent a few days ago a message about "TexasThings" example in OWL Guide
>(see below), where the interpretation of allValuesFrom seems wrong to me.
>Without answer so far from there, I push the question here.
>
>Suppose I have the following - more enlightening to me at least than Texas
>Things :))

Bernard - you are right that someValuesFrom is the appropriate thing
to use -- this is a common confusion, and it is embarassing that we
missed it in the Guide

owl:someValuesFrom requires at least one value meeting this
restriction be there  (i.e. it is like "there exists" - it mandates
that one exists) - there can be more than one value with the
property, or other values without the property, but at least one if
there.

owl:allValuesFrom does not require a value be there, but does require
that if there are one or more values of this property they must all
meet this restriction

good catch
  -JH

--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)