RE: Annotation properties with range and other rdf:types

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:38:47 -0800
To: <public-webont-comments@w3.org>

Folks,

I still have not read why there are problems with the
logic which prevent annotation properties from having
a range in OWL DL, and I would appreciate if someone
could at least give me a hint on why that's impossible.
To me it looks rather like a syntactic problem.

Anyway, given that the specification is not going to be
changed soon, I will have to build a compromise solution
for Protege:  At least the interface that I am now using
to access Racer would not allow me to pass in an OWL Full
ontology, so I need to find a workable solution for our
users.  This solution basically will mean that most ontologies
will be in OWL Full at edit and save time.  When the user
presses the classify button, I will temporarily remove any
AnnotationProperties or other OWL Full constructs on the
fly before I send them to the classifier.

Does anyone know of an open-source Java API that would
take an OWL Full ontology as input and create an OWL DL
ontology as output?

Thanks
Holger