RE: Annotation properties with range and other rdf:types

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:06:46 -0800
To: "'Gary Ng'" <Gary.Ng@networkinference.com>, <public-webont-comments@w3.org>

> My opinion is that this is not necessarily a specification issue.
>
> At the tool level you can certainly have a GUI in which
> annotations are declared and used as you have described, but
> IMO this does not require any modifications to the current spec.
>
> For example, you can make use of another annotation property
> to denote the range for other Aps, Or use a "meta" ontology
> (an extension of the rdfs of owl) at the tool level.

Yes, this would be a work-around.  But then I would have to
introduce a new non-standard annotation property that other tools
will not understand.  From my point of view, the allowed values
of an annotation property are of general relevance, not only for
editors but also to inform users of my ontology about the
intended usage of the annotation properties I define.

In addition, I think the OWL specification is already complicating
enough: I don't see any reason why there should be a different
mechanism for specifying annotation properties than for other
properties.  This is not only confusing but also means an
unnecessary implementation overhead.  Why don't we simply regard
owl:AnnotationProperty similar to owl:FunctionalProperty, so that
it can be attached as a "flag" to any other property?

Regards,
Holger