Re: OWL comment - blank nodes in OWL DL

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:41:51 +0200
To: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: public-webont-comments@w3.org

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:21:10 +0100
From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
CC: public-webont-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: OWL comment - blank nodes in OWL DL

> (b) Issue: bNodes as object in multiple triples
>      Your response: no change due to lack of working group consensus
>
> The links you gave were all to the discussion before the last call.
> Please give an indication of the WG discussion of this issue in response
> to last call comments.
>
> Specifically you said:
> [[
> The WG was concerned that the handling of blank nodes has not yet been
> shown to be able to be handled in the correspondence proof of Appendix A of
> the Semantic Document [6].
> ]]
> However the following messages claim to provide such a proof:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0294
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0017
>
> If this proof is indeed in error an analysis demonstrating the error could
> supply the test case that we requested.
>    [[
>    A rationale for not permitting this in OWL DL
>    should be given, preferably as a test case in OWL Full
>    showing an OWL Full non-entailment that would hold in
>    OWL DL if such triples were permitted.
>    ]]

Dave,

The WebOnt WG discussed this restriction on bnodes at the Jul 24 telecon
[1] and decided not to lift the restriction at this point, but to mark
this as a "feature at risk" in the request for Candidate Recommendation
[2]. This request now states that this restriction is "at risk" for
changes, based on implementation experience.

Thanks again for your     ,
Guus Schreiber

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jul/0313.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/rqim.html