Re: on Use cases/ Web portals

From: Gary Mosher <donotgo@donotgo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:16:06 -0500
To: public-webont-comments@w3.org
On the subject of ontology.
I am thinking that instead of allowing search engines to “infer” connections  between  fields within the ontology-- that it would be more useful for the search engine to "know" how relevant the content is to the particular “fieldwords” used to describe it. Using the classic example of animal classification,  it might be helpful to see past technical qualification and make distinctions based on how furry or how warm blooded an animal might be.  Using your example I think it would be very helpful to have built in to a match on a word like “publication” a relevancy percentage based on the publications circulation.  Your thoughts?
-Gary Mosher