Re: on Use cases/ Web portals

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

Below are some additional comments and questions.

Thanks,

Jim

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

Your reworked version clears up the issues in my first three comments.
It also resolves some of the issues of my fourth and fifth comments.

The remaining concerns I have are about: (1) the idea of improving
the quality of search results, and (2) the example inferences you provide.

The following comments address these issues.

1. I would suggest something along the following lines as an
   alternative to your first sentence. (The idea for me would be, say,
   to mention both terminology and rules first, then say that once
   terminology and rules are in place, inferences can be made;
   and these inferences can somehow "enhance" search results.
   I think once you start saying "improve the quality of search"
   you're almost obligated to talk about information-retrieval
   measures like recall and precision, even if only to contrast your
   notion of improved search quality with conventional benchmarks of
   retrieval effectiveness. I'm not sure whether you would want
   to go down that path with this example, though I think it could
   be very interesting.  The question marks below indicate my own
   uncertainty about the wording that I'm suggesting.)

  This ontology can provide a terminology for describing content,
  as well as rules that ??describe relationships among pieces of this
  content??. Given suitable terminology and rules, an ontology allows
  certain inferences to be made. These inferences can, in turn, allow
  users to obtain search results from the portal that are difficult
  to obtain from conventional retrieval systems.

2. Your next-to-last sentence says that the rules "allow query systems
   to infer additional information about journal papers and authors," and
   your last sentence suggests (if I understand it right) that a search
   engine could return [instances of] journal papers when a query asks for
   [instance of] publications.

   I have some questions about this.

   First, what is the additional information that is being inferred about
   journal papers? Is it that any instance of "journal paper" is
   also an instance of "publication"?  If so, isn't this information
   something something that is not "new," but rather already present
   in the rule "all journal articles are publications"? If not, what is
   an example of the additional information being inferred about journal papers?

3. Your last sentence suggests to me that the search engine, in returning
   "journal papers" when a query asks for "publications," is making some
   kind of inference in order to provide these results.

   I have some questions about this as well.

   What inferences are being made, and how do these inferences relate
   to the rule "all journal articles are publications"? Specifically,
   do you mean by inference something different than the rule (implication?)
   that "If X is a journal article, then X is a publication"?
   The reason I ask is that I am confused about how, in the scenario you
   lay out, inferences are different from rules (which to me seem to be
   implications).