Fwd: WebONT Requirements

Forwarded with permission:

>Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:53:10 -0700
>From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
>To: hendler@cs.umd.edu
>Subject: WebONT Requirements
>http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/PerlMx/Header
>
>Jim, I saw this:
>
>  * http://www.w3.org/2002/Talks/www2002-ont-jh/slide12-0.html
>
>"objectives (we will try to do, but aren't sure we can):
>
>Commitment to portions of ontologies, View mechanism, Integration of
>digital signatures, Arithmetic primitives, String manipulation,
>Aggregation and grouping, Procedural attachment""
>
>I was wondering if there is way to get arithmetic and string
>manipulation from XPath or to abstract out the relevant bits of XPath to
>avoid having two declarative expression languages at the W3C.
>---
>Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
>   Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002,
>conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/
>   Extreme Markup: Aug 4-9, 2002,  www.extrememarkup.com/extreme/

the above is quoted from an introduction to the web ontology language
work I presented at WWW 2002.  It is a brief summary of the longer
document [1] which identifies the requirements and objectives for the
Web Ontology Working Group.  Summarizing what you will find there,
the goals of our group are not to reinvent these various features,
but to make sure our solution is maximally compatible with existing
implementations and/or does not break other standards.  In
particular, we currently assume we will get arithmetic and string
manipulation from the "underlying strata" (i.e. XML and RDF) and thus
do not anticipate creating our own solution for these.
  -Jim Hendler
  WOWG CoChair

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/
--