DAML+OIL features for information integration

From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:53:17 +0200
To: michael.f.uschold@boeing.com, public-webont-comments@w3.org
cc: "Jones, David H" <david.h.jones@boeing.com>

Another comment from Mike Uschold <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>,
passed on with his permission for the benefit of the list.

> Here is the list of features of DAML+OIL that we identified as being most
> likely to be useful for a database integration project.
>
> Recommend DAML-OIL language elements for use in II project:
> daml:samePropertyAs
> daml:sameClassAs
> daml:sameIndividualAs
> daml:inverseOf
> daml:UnambigousProperty
> daml:maxCardinality
> daml:minCardinality
> XML Schema datatype
>   Example: <xsd:decimal rdf:value="10.5">
>
> Could ALSO be considered for use:
> daml:Ontology
> daml:cardinality
> daml:versionInfo
> daml:TransitiveProperty
> daml:UniqueProperty

Thanks a lot for this Mike,
this is exactly the kind of datapoints that the WG so badly needs.

After taking a first look:
- all of your "must have"s are in OWL Lite,
  with the proviso that OWL Lite only allows 0-1 cardinality restrictions
- all of your "might have"s are also in OWL Lite,
  with the same proviso
- In [1], David Jones suggested that hasValue should also be a "must have",
  which is not in OWL Lite.

Question: did you use other cardinality values than 0,1 in your
          data-integration projects?

Thanks again for this very useful use-case input.

Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl              http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh
Department of AI, Faculty of Sciences,  Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
de Boelelaan 1081a, 1081HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel (+31)-20-444 7731/7700 fax (+31)-84-221 4294

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/2002Aug/0014.html