Re: Alternative introductory text for the questionnaire

On 6 Sep 2014, at 12:33 am, Michiel Leenaars <michiel.ml@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> The W3C community would like to more involve the larger Web community with its
> work and the future of the web.
>
> W3C appreciates that it is a very small community that directly influences
> millions of people who create web pages and thereby billions of people who
> benefit from the web. In contemplating such a program, the W3C solicits input
> from the Web community to determine whether such a program is viable and what
> characteristics would be most beneficial.
>
> This program would apply both to individuals who today have no affiliation with
> W3C, as well as those who are connected through their employer, but want to
> show their personal commitment to the open web as well.
>
> We start with the assumption that there would be a token fee to cover
> administrative expenses and demonstrate some support for W3C, taking care of
> regional differences.

i think that looks good.  I think also - enhancing the existing relationship people have, via W3 Communities[1] participation.

Perhaps rather than token - put affordable… token makes it sound like it’s insignificant.

not sure how many web-developers, consultants, architects, etc. exist; say, 0.05% of market (or less) x $100USD subject to currency variations (i.e. Purchasing Power Parity [2])

More than 1.4 billion current stakeholders, with an interest of getting others not currently using the web (the majority of humanity) connected, and who knows what level of economic revenues passed via this platform...

So, could be half a million members?

NB: Having a discounted student/concession price, and a ‘full adult’ price would make some sense.  for a student (at least in some countries), $8/10 PCM is a meal.

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index