user groups Re: Comments on Webizen proposal

On Mon, 12 May 2014 22:35:46 +0200, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
> On 5/11/2014 7:31 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>>>
>>> This would focus on users of the technology.
>>
>> How is that different from CGs? Or IGs and BGs?
>
> Hmm, I guess one could create a CG that focuses on a user perspective,
> but I'm not sure I've seen that focus.

I believe there are BGs where people are focused on users. There is a
voting CG that is apparently focused on the users (i.e. voters), and to a
large extent I think that is the case for the Process CG. It is certainly
thecase for a large number of the participants in the HTML email CG.

But given the trivial requirements for creating one, perhaps the reason
for not doing so is that there aren't that many people excited about doing
so. Or that they don't know how. It isn't that we don't have a nice easy
way to do it.

I don't think creating yet another class of group helps us, as a general
principle. There are specific costs for W3C members in the CG experiment
and I don't think we have done a very good job yet of embedding that
withing W3C (although it has had a success as a stand-alone project). I
don't see any benefit in providing different groups for Webizens, whereas
I do see some value in noting that CG members are webizens (or for that
matter, W3C members).

cheers

Chaals