Re: Meeting update and next meeting

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 20:15:43 +0200, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

[...]
> We would like to finalize the market survey [4] so it can be sent out
> immediately after the next meeting.
>
> Most of the wiki and survey have been stable now for several weeks. The
> primary topics are to finish hashing out is how we want to discuss
> representation in the wiki [2], and how we want to ask about it in the
> survey (Q8 and Q9 of [4]).  Folks are encouraged to start a dialog about
> that now on the email thread so we don't defer the entire discussion
> until the meeting.

[...]

> [4] https://www.w3.org/wiki/Webizen#Workspace_for_Twitter_questionnaire

Hi Webizen taskforce,
Jeff, Michiel,

I have a short general comment/suggestion on the survey. It relates to a
question Michiel asked during the [20-Aug call]:

[[
Michiel: Not being a Twitter user, there's bias in asking this huge echo
chamber, other channel active as well?
... do you need to be on Twitter to answer?
... many of the people I represent don't have twitter accounts
]]

I believe the following statement from the prologue is unnecessarily
restrictive:
[[ the W3C solicits input from its Twitter followers - those who have
already expressed some affiliation with W3C -]]

I suggest instead the following text:
[[the W3C solicits input from its community - those who have expressed
some affiliation with W3C -]]

Here is why:

Twitter is one of the platforms where we choose to disseminate the survey.
The W3C has numerous followers, so this is a good start to reach a broad
audience.
We could let others disseminate it as well, and/or we could also blog
about it, put it on our Facebook page, etc.

I think we should not be married to reaching out only to the Twitter
followers of the W3C.

If the reason for doing so is providing responders with some validator
coupons, then, since all we need to award coupons is an e-mail address, I
don't see a problem with removing the condition that the survey should be
open to twitter users only.

Besides, there is no way to check whether responders are actually Twitter
users, therefore, the condition is misguided.

Coralie

[20-Aug call] http://www.w3.org/2014/08/20-webizen-minutes.html

--
  Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org