From: Jeff Jaffe [mailto:jeff@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 2:12 PM
To: Crawford, Mark; Webizen TF
Subject: Re: Webizen progress and next meeting

Mark,

I'm top-posting because I agree with most of your assertions/questions,
but not necessarily the conclusions.

That is, I agree that we have had lots of success, produce adequate
quantity and quality of recommendations, and that we should not be
introducing "Webizens" to drive W3C revenue, etc.

Yet I think it would still be incredibly valuable if we could design an
effective Webizen program.

It is not that we needed Webizens to get us to where we are today. But
we will need a stronger relationship with the developer community to
stay at the cutting edge and ensure that we stay at the top of our game.

The success of the Open Web Platform means that there is now a community
of web developers whose needs and wants are more demanding than in the
past.  They are not only designing static web pages. They are building
complex distributed applications.  They are exploiting rich multimedia,
working offline, and getting their Apps to run seamlessly across a
dizzying set of devices.  Their requirements will drive web architecture
like never before.

W3C has already adjusted to increase our outreach and it has been
helpful for us.  Some of the approaches (Community Groups, Test the Web
Forward, Industry Vertical Interest Groups) have already expanded our
community and brought new ideas into the consortium. A program to
increase individual affiliation with W3C could help us further in
preparing for the challenges of tomorrow.

I'm not sure whether "Webizen" is the best or unique answer, but it is
certainly worth attempting to see if we can design such a program.

Jeff