Re: Webizen progress and next meeting

On 8/4/2014 1:04 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2014 12:56 PM, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org
> <mailto:jeff@w3.org>> wrote:
> >

> > On 8/4/2014 12:52 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> into the wiki [2].

> try to finalize by this meeting.
> what should go into the program.  I've drafted a sample
> questionnaire.  I'm not sure if we'll be able to conclude on this
> questionnaire at the next meeting; but we probably need to get close
> and finalize it by the following meeting.
> well.

> >> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, developers have no
> first-class voice with regard to w3c matters, especially with regard
> to direction in terms of TAG and AB  - at least for WGs we have
> possibility for invited experts, but IEs have the same issue: while
> granted status for WGs, they have no (even collective) representation.
> I understand that some membership was opposed to this, but is it just
> off the table?  I don't see anything in the survey even hinting at this.
> >

> > In my book, nothing is off the table.  However, I am trying to
> represent where the task force currently is thinking.  No one in the
> task force indicated any interest in this at the last call, so I
> suppose it is off the table unless it gets traction in some way in the
> task force.
> >

> I'm pretty sure I did in irc on the last call?

I suggest that you join the next call (rather than IRC only) so you can
debate the issue with people who disagree.  The purpose of the task
force is to have people with differing views come together and develop a
consensus.  That doesn't happen if one point of view makes some remarks
on IRC without introducing them into the conversation.

Further, imho, even looking at the IRC log after the fact it was not
clear what you were saying in IRC.  I looked back at the record and I
see six comments that I suppose is where you think you said that there
needs to be collective representation.  They are:

<bkardell_> As I said previously... We have enough swag
<bkardell_> The benefit is membership and representation
<bkardell_> I agree with ACS on this
<bkardell_> Correct me: invited experts have no ac representation, right?
<jeff> brian, Correct.
<bkardell_> So, again, I think this is the primary goal of a Webizen
program.
<bkardell_> A way to collectively create "unions" with ac reps

But to me it is confusing.  I don't know what you mean by swag (1). I'm
not clear who you are agreeing with (3) - were you agreeing with the AC
that we should not have an electoral college?  It is not clear what
"this" refers to (5).  And the word unions is a reserved term (at least
in US law) and noone is talking about unions (6).

To make matters worse, I have extracted the above segment from 30 lines
which scribe what was being discussed on the call.  If you include those
30 lines interspersed, it is even harder to piece together that you were
proposing something.

So, please join the next call and provide your input.