Re: WebID and Content Negotiation

On 1/27/22 1:51 PM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 7:19 PM Jacopo Scazzosi <jacopo@scazzosi.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>> Could we come to a consensus that content negotiation is optional for
>>> current and future WebID work?
>> I agree that it should remain optional, as per the current WebID spec/draft:
>>
>> a) conneg tends to be incompatible with hosting of static resources
>> b) conneg comes with its own complexity, which should not be forced upon
>>     adopters of the spec
>>
>> In practice, this entails that a client asking for a specific serialization
>> format might:
>>
>> - receive a response in the requested format
>> - receive a "406 Not Acceptable" response if the requested format is not
>>    supported by the publisher but basic conneg is
>> - receive the response in a different format if the publisher does not support
>>    conneg
>>
>> I'm happy with all three implications.
> I think at this point we need to put the prose behind us and make HTTP
> request/response examples for each use case, in order to remove any
> ambiguity. Request examples:
>
> 1. No format preference (canonical format is Turtle)
>
> GET /webid
>
> 2. Canonical format (Turtle) is preferred
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: text/turtle, application/rdf+xml;q=0.8
>
> 3. Non-canonical RDF format is preferred and supported by the server
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: application/rdf+xml, text/turtle;q=0.8
>
> 4. Non-canonical RDF format is preferred and *not* supported by the server
> a. without fallback
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: application/rdf+xml
>
> b. with Turtle as fallback
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: application/rdf+xml, text/turtle;q=0.8
>
> 5. HTML is preferred and supported by the server
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: text/html, text/turtle;q=0.8
>
> 6. HTML is preferred and *not* supported by the server
> a. without fallback
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: text/html
>
> b. with Turtle as fallback
>
> GET /webid
> Accept: text/html, text/turtle;q=0.8
>
>> Best regards,
>> Jacopo.

Hi Martynas,

Here's a suggestion.

We should start by changing the topic of this thread regarding
content-negotiation from "WebID and Content Negotiation" to "WebID
Profile Documents and Content Negotiation".

That simple change will be very useful to the general conversation. If
not, we will continue to burn time on a conflated issue rife with
confusion, IMHO.

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):