Re: Recovery of compromised WebID

Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2019-03-04 19:47:30)
> On 3/4/19 12:26 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2019-03-04 16:58:02)
> >> We have implemented the following in our YouID offering:
> >>
> >> 1. X.509 Cert and WebID-Profile doc relations setup for both
> >> WebID-TLS and WebID-TLS+Delegation
> >>
> >> 2. Delivered as a hosted App or Browser Extension.

[...]

> > At [assumed homepage] I see several links to _installing_ the
> > project, but no link to getting the _source_ for it.  I guess source
> > is available and freely licensed, just not as prominently promoted
> > as usage, right?  Can you help point me to its sources?

[..]

> The original YouID releases covered:
>
> 1. iOS -- secure
>
> 2. Android -- secure

If freely licensed, I dearly recommend you to consider releasing the
Android App on F-droid: https://f-droid.org/

> 3. Hosted Edition -- questionable since a hosted app is trying to
> offer privacy to a 3rd party (not possible).
>
> Assumption is that privacy is about self-calibration of one's
> vulnerability. Thus, a 3rd party cannot offer that to an individual
> (as per #3).

I see a use case for the hosted edition: As part of a self-hosted
system, for situations where you want your authentication to be at your
personal server rather than inside your personal web browser - e.g. wnen
you use a web browser not supporting any of the formats provided.

Concrete example: I am currently hired by Purism to help refine their
software stack.  Purism sell laptops and (soon) phones - their upcoming
phones will run a Debian-derived system (so cannot use iOS nor Android
apps) using a Webkit-based browser by default (so cannot use a WebExt
browser plugin).

Is the hosted edition still available somewhere, and Freely licensed?

> The chrome extension is an addition.
>
> Here is the chrome store browser extension page:
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/openlink-youid/kbepkemknbihgdmdnfainhmiidoblhee?hl=en
> .
>
> This extension localizes (everything is in your browser) the process
> of creating and saving your credentials. It's support of Solid Pods as
> WebID-Profile docs hosts fills in the missing gaps of yore re.
> bootstrap.

Nice!

> [1] https://github.com/OpenLinkSoftware/youid -- Open Source Edition
> of YouID Browser Extension (it might be a little out of date, but you
> can fork and track PRs etc..)

Thanks!

I now added that source repository to the list of things I may
eventually one day get around to package for Debian, for those like me
needing that for it to be trustworthy.

 - Jonas