Re: The WebID W3C activity. Re: Domains, Subdomains, Etc.

On 1/6/15 3:42 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Melvin,
> I'm 100% into authentication and I have never encountered WebID-TLS in
> the wild.
> That WebID has a value of its own is possible but to me WebID without
> TLS appears like a car without motor.

A WebID is simply an HTTP URI that identifies an Agent (Person,
Organization, Software, Machinery etc..).

A WebID-Profile document is what describes an Agent that's identified by
a WebID. This happens via sign->description document indirection that's
inherent to HTTP URIs.

WebID-TLS is a protocol that uses the above to verify claims made in a
WebID-Profile Document. It achieves this by looking up (de-referencing)
a WebID that's the value of an X.509 SubjectAlternativeName property,
and then performing a "proof of work" test [1].

Basically, Melvin is indicating to you that WebIDs are all over the
place on the Web already. They can be used in a variety of ways to
identify Agents. In addition, you can use a variety of protocols to
verify this kind of Agent Identity.

> Anyway, as Henry said this community and activity has no
> browser-vendor-support.

All he said was this isn't the place for a browser centric solution that
depends solely on browser vendor buy-in.

> Does the W3C really have anything to offer in fields like identity,
> payments and such?
> Currently it seems more like a bunch of disparate, semi-religious
> "cults" run by people with fairly limited bandwidth.
> VISA and all the other biggies fled to FIDO.  There's no chance
> getting them back using the current strategy.

I can't quite parse the paragraph above. It too "name calling" heavy etc..

Links:

[1]
http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/how-virtuoso-enables-attributed-based-access-controls
-- Covers WebID, WebID-TLS, and controlled Enterprise Data Access using
Attribute Based Access Controls (ABAC).

Kingsley