Re: Simple Page-Owner Token (SPOT) Authentication

On 11/19/2014 09:26 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 19 November 2014 04:09, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> <mailto:melvincarvalho@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 19 November 2014 03:49, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org
>     <mailto:sandro@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>         On 11/12/2014 05:47 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>

>>         On 12 November 2014 05:36, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org
>>         <mailto:sandro@w3.org>> wrote:
>>
>>             On 11/10/2014 06:39 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>>             Just wanted to highlight this interesting work from sandro
>>
>>             Thanks.   I should say the design came out of discussions
>>             with Andrei Sambra, trying to avoid the problems with
>>             poor browser support of client certificates.
>>

>>         Sando, could you outline which part of certificate support
>>         you feel could be improved?  Is it the UI, or lack or
>>         coverage, or something else?
>>

>         UI, as in previous email
>
>>         Surely SPOT would require browser modification to work in the
>>         browser?
>>

>         Mostly, no.
>
>>         - How does the browser send header fields?  -- maybe AJAX
>
>         Of course.
>
>>         - How does the browser remember your URI, esp. cross origin?
>>         -- maybe stuff it somewhere like in web crypto
>
>         This bit is tricky, yeah.   Of course it doesn't really need
>         to remember it, but the user experience is much better if it
>         does. Browser support would be nice.  Without it, we can hack
>         it with a tiny bit of code which uses local storage, served up
>         from some neutral domain like w3.org <http://w3.org>. This is
>         what webintents did, I believe.
>

>     I like this idea.  How about webizen fused with a w3.org
>     <http://w3.org> cookie?
>
>     There was a semi centalized web 2.0 auth system that did something
>     similar and was popular at one time, anyone recall the name ...
>     something like xauth
>

> Here it is:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20120521151833/http://xauth.org/info/

Thank you very much for the reference.

Full details on the pros and mostly cons of that approach at (and linked
from)
http://hueniverse.com/2010/06/05/xauth-a-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-idea/

Personally I see it as a viable experimentation and transition
strategy.    Once it's more clear what we really need, browsers can
implement it.

     -- Sandro