Re: Simple Page-Owner Token (SPOT) Authentication

On 19 November 2014 03:49, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

>  On 11/12/2014 05:47 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> On 12 November 2014 05:36, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:
>
>>  On 11/10/2014 06:39 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> Just wanted to highlight this interesting work from sandro
>>

>>  Thanks.   I should say the design came out of discussions with Andrei
>> Sambra, trying to avoid the problems with poor browser support of client
>> certificates.
>>

>  Sando, could you outline which part of certificate support you feel
> could be improved?  Is it the UI, or lack or coverage, or something else?
>

> UI, as in previous email
>
>   Surely SPOT would require browser modification to work in the browser?
>

> Mostly, no.
>
>   - How does the browser send header fields?  -- maybe AJAX
>

> Of course.
>
>   - How does the browser remember your URI, esp. cross origin? -- maybe
> stuff it somewhere like in web crypto
>

> This bit is tricky, yeah.   Of course it doesn't really need to remember
> it, but the user experience is much better if it does.   Browser support
> would be nice.  Without it, we can hack it with a tiny bit of code which
> uses local storage, served up from some neutral domain like w3.org.
> This is what webintents did, I believe.

I like this idea.  How about webizen fused with a w3.org cookie?

There was a semi centalized web 2.0 auth system that did something similar
and was popular at one time, anyone recall the name ... something like xauth

I use the local storage pattern too, but it's not cross origin, and
especially painful with subdomains ...