Re: YouID for Android Released

On 5/22/14 12:00 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> remember two things - that perhaps dont gel with how you are
> indoctrinated (if you grew up in the UK say, and reached 18 before the
> internet took off.).
>
> 1.
>     in the US, there is NO expectation or privacy IF YOU USE THE
>     INTERNET. That is the official position. Ask Mr  Lavabit. You can
>     add “sensitivity private” to your headers all you like, you can
>     add a footer saying “private and conditional, attorney privilege”;
>     it makes no difference (contrary to what you might believe). The
>     only privacy comes when you make it so (because its hard to read..)

This is what I mean by "self calibration of one's vulnerability" i.e.,
you control the levers in regards to:

1. signature
2. encryption (be it asymmetric or symmetric [here the "shared secret"
is encrypted using your Public Key in Encryption At Rest (EAR) scenarios
using AES] )
3. access to resources you share via the Web or Internet -- agents
accessing your protected resource don't need to be equipped (by default)
with any particular information about your ACLs or Data Access policy
algorithms (you control that by making up whatever policy works for you).

> 1.
>     Collect it all, is the phrase to remember. What don’t you get,
>     yet, about ‘collect it ALL??!!??” (to use an Americanism.) All
>     means ALL (including whatever your mic is picking up, en les
>     environs, and your “proxmity association” with other devices in
>     sound range [ about 100m, for a modern phone)).

Yes, you have to assume everything is collected because its sort of
cheaper (in a retarded way, at tax payer expense) to do it that way.

> the rationale is quite simple: who knows - when tracing back four
> years later through having figured that you were happenstance near Mr
> Foo - four year ago - now a terrorist suspected of planning a demo
> against animal cruelty - the mic MIGHT have picked up the original
> plot details, the co-conspirators, etc etc.

Yep!

> Dont be tempted to talk about Arab Springs, or low cost twittering
> devices that faciliate web revolutions that free folk from the local
> dictator. That was as bogus a technique for technology saving freedoms
> as was PGP saving the Soviet Refusniks  (an invented evil and
> solution, used to selling PGP to Americans).
>
> Now, what we can do with linked-data trust models is augment the
> public/enterprise/cloud space; with an overlay. that is the trust and
> assurance that comes with good governance is a [assurance] bootstrap -
> for the overlay that then expresses mutual understandings on a small
> scale.
>
> The purpose of NOT going against the tide is that the tide GIVES
> distributed models what they lack - a trusted bootstrap.

Yes!

> Put technically, you use the public channels of SSL (wehre there
> is “zero expectation of privacy”, say, to boot up the next SSL tunnel
> - which is NOT build according to the “governance model”.
>
> This is what we did with SSL, years ago. We allowed the whole CA
> hierarchy to come into being, allowed NSA to infiltrate VeriSign upper
> management (easy enough… just offer $$$), IN ORDER THAT there was easy
> plumbing for self-signed certs that its trivial to configure - on
> consumer-grade [prpducts (phones, routers bought in the supermarket).
> Back then, this was as much as we could get through the “crypto
> politics” , allowing public trust and personal trust to intermingle.

Enabling URIs in the SAN slot of a certificate was the key to
everything. That ensured the future of webby PKI.

> Now, I feel, with self-signed client certs, linked through json-ld, we
> get to go further.

Yes, but do remember:

1. json-ld -- is for web developers
2. turtle -- is for everyone.

Thus, the goal is for everyone to be able to represent their worldview
using compact digital sentences. For instance, I can pack Turtle into a
tweet which turns a tweet into a Linked Data launchpad for
follow-your-nose exploration (by human or machine). Basically, I refer
to this as "Nanotation" .

> The key is NOT to annoy the “authorities” but work with them
> (understand that now we all know thats its a “collect it all”
> atmostsphere;. Of course, folks HERE knew that ALL along (where else
> did the research funds for all this… come from; lets be honest)). one
> goes out tpo find a new level of public/private partnership; using the
> overlay concept set - understand that private means “cipher it” vs
> expect some rights. Of course, ciphering it doesnt means folks dont
> have easy access to your commodity phone/router to explouit it, or the
> inbility in 5 years to decrypt it by cryptanlaysis, having “collected
> it all, including the ciphertext).
>
> But, we WOULD have moved forward…. an inch.

Yes.

Kingsley .