Re: Should WebIDs denote people or accounts?

On May 17, 2014 2:38:00 PM EDT, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>In addition, the banks I talk about have at least FOUR MAGNITUDES
>more users than WebID-TLS.  That they don't participate in W3C is
>strange but OTOH, I don't see much (if any...) browser vendor
>interest in WebID or WebPayments so it would be pointless for
>banks to join at this stage.  It would be interesting to hear
>what the W3C think about this.

I'm not quite sure which "this" you mean.

In general, W3C tries hard to operate where there is broad industry consensus.  Doing things not endorsed by the major players in some market rarely turns out well.

At the moment the W3C doesn't see anything like consensus around WebID,  or, I'm thinking, any other technology in that space.     But clearly there are important use cases in this neighborhood, so hopefully there will be some convergence one of these days soon.

There are several ways such convergence can be recognized, BTW.   If the staff didn't pick up on it (and we can't be experts in everything), the representatives from the member organizations can suggest things, preferably getting enthusiastic support from other representatives, etc.

Not sure if I answered your question at all, sorry.

    - Sandro