Re: Aligning WebID with U2F. Was: UI for client cert selection

On 5/6/14 6:30 AM, Nick Jennings wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 12:49 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/5/14 10:21 AM, Nick Jennings wrote:
>>     Thanks Kingsley, one comment below:
>>
>>     On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Kingsley Idehen
>>     <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 5/5/14 8:45 AM, Nick Jennings wrote:
>>>         Excuse me if I'm missing something, but isn't this more an
>>>         issue of what our expectations are from previous cookie
>>>         usage, rather than an actual problem?
>>
>>         No, there's an actual problem. It boils down to conflating:
>>
>>         1. identity
>>         2. identification
>>         3. authentication.
>>
>>         Identity is an issue missing from many applications and
>>         services due to their underlying programming environment and
>>         frameworks.
>>
>>>         If we use a single browser profile per-cert, then it makes
>>>         sense that you will always be logged in (and that's better
>>>         than being logged out after a certain amount of time, IMO).
>>>         If you want to be anonymous, or log in with a different
>>>         account, use a different profile.
>>
>>         You should be able to have different identifies across
>>         different interactions with services. It isn't about one
>>         identity vs anonymity. It's just about identity,
>>         identification, and authentication en route to a "trust
>>         context" (e.g., a Web of Trust) as a result of identity
>>         verification.
>>>
>>     Doesn't it confuse things from a UX perspective to have a ton of
>>     certs to choose from everytime you want to authenticate with a site?
>
>     No it doesn't. You see, this is one of those "premature
>     optimization" issues that arise from the programmers perspective
>     taking precedence over an actual end-user perspective.
>
>     If an end-user understands that each certificate is an identity
>     card issued and signed by an identity provider the utility of
>     multiple identity cards becomes apparent.
>
>     Note, in between verifiable identity and anonymity sits a sweet
>     spot that's increasingly overlooked. Having many identity cards
>     enhances control over privacy. I can have different cards for my
>     different group membership. It should never be an all or nothing
>     proposition, for end-users.
>

> I see your point, for sure, but as a user I found having a large
> number of certs (that you still have to choose from yourself) unwieldy.

Yes, because you haven't had to assess the costs vs the benefits, so to
speak. I have many cards in my wallet, it isn't ideal, but its the best
solution for my circumstances, pre., Bitcoin wallet prevalence and
overall ecosystem maturity etc..

> You end up looking through a list and trying to remember what was for
> what.

Depends on the CN and filenames (e.g., for the pkcs#12 files) combo that
results from certificate generation. This does have something to do with
the tools used to generate certificates.

I like to know which persona I am presenting to an online system.

> A large part of this was just bad UI in the browser - so there are
> things that can be improved from a UI perspective that can make things
> better, but also I think this direct management of certs is more of a
> power user thing (to be asked to choose every time, giving each cert
> special names to help remember).

If people are taught they become knowledgeable users. The trouble is
programmers (at times) is that there is this misconception called the
"dumb end-user" as opposed to what in reality is the "unengaged
end-user" who is yet to make a full commitment to your app/service.

The pain points need to be understood by end-users. Application and its
packaging should help the end-user understand its fundamental value
proposition. This is the kind of skill that's diminishing due to the
rise of a kind of "programming and programmers only" culture in today's
computing realm.

> If it was automatic, (a site registers an identity card to your
> browser, and says "this is for my site" and can fetch it without
> having to ask you about it every time) then I guess that still serves
> the same purpose I'm eluding to, which is that the user has one
> profile, avatar, per-"internet identity" and things are kept simple
> (with potential for advanced configuration by power users in the
> settings).

The issue isn't one that's solved via an "automatic" anything. Users and
Programmers need to understand Identity and Privacy. These issues have
never been simple, in an realm of interaction.

> So, for example, I could have "Nick Jennings" as one browser profile,
> with all my legitimate accounts, and a "Internet Troll 1291245167"
> profile where I just flame people in youtube comments. :)

You would need at least two identity cards (certs.) for that. By that I
mean, your "accounts" will ultimately be associated with different
identities through which you express your varied personae, this is an
integral part of being human and social (or anti social).

> The auto-issued certs from various sites can all be attached to their
> respective browser profile key chains and I don't have to worry about
> which is for which (but can go into settings to delete or make
> advanced changes).

The Devil's in the details, with a penchant for using "convenience" and
other niceties as a head-fake to hell. Who is auto-issuing these
certificates, for instance?

Kingsley