Re: Releasing RWW.IO

Firstly,

It’s taken several years to develop WebID already. Whilst new solutions may exist, i’m not sure what existed at the time…

Perhaps the capacity for the WebID spec to accept/consider alternatives to WebID-TLS could be considered.  Additionally, perhaps the WebID Spec could also include a WebID ontology, which can enhance what can currently be referenced as a holder of credentials beyond the capabilities of FOAF specifically.

In considering the mail on this topic of late (not just in the WebID Community) I see two issues.

1. The WebID ontological reference points at FOAF specifically.  I think perhaps this might best be considered by looking at a WebID Ontology (that can then include both ‘things’, ‘agents’ and ‘legal entities’, using different ontologies if needed, and a set of terms that cater for the needs of WebID Specifically, as a specification).

2. The AUTH method should probably specify the requirements in relation to an AUTH standard.  Whether that’s specifically TLS, i think isn’t what the spec actually attempts to accomplish - other than having some sort of solution available…

I’ve spent some time today reviewing the U2F solution [1,2,3]

Obviously, as is exhibited on the list - the ever passionate Anders, has as a solution [4] he is particularly interested in progressing, and honestly - it looks like an enormous piece of work, so to me, i wonder how we can help him conform to a standard, rather than having an isolated approach.  so long as methods conform to a standard, isn’t that what we’re seeking to achieve?

Then a company i’ve had some knowledge of for sometime just obtained some press for a different type of proprietary standard [5] and; whilst the KYC elements (which [5] also caters for) have an array of other issues, it appears even within web-payments group - their “identity credentials” spec [6] has an array of related requirements, which should ideally be served through WebID specifications (whether complimentary or standalone).

ISSUES:

1. Perhaps if this form of concept were adopted, we might end-up with services that understand one type of authentication and the WebID doesn’t support that particular form of identification.
2. Perhaps some forms of Authentication are better than others.  Perhaps issues come-up and some means of notifying users is beneficial, around how to resolve any such new issues (heartbleed[7] bug for example)
3. Perhaps some authentication methods might comply with the standard, but be proprietary.

<rant>As of a few(?) months ago (even quite some time earlier, first testing with ODS in-fact), the functionality of WebID in terms of Cimba.co, rww.io, data.fm, webcredits.org and other related works has shown me a functional AUTH / ID capability that i’m finding quite useful for dev, and consistent with objectives outlined, discussed and broadly collaboratively working upon for sometime.   I do not see the benefit of simply putting the WebID/WebID-TLS function - down to the act of providing a URI - the AUTH association is important IMHO - however, i do see room for development and improvement, and perhaps ontologically providing room for alternatives might be the answer, not sure.  Perhaps most noticeably, i see that people seem frustrated with the specificity of the specification, and perhaps that is what could use some work.  I think most people agree that the concept of a distributed authentication and identity solution is required, and i’m relatively sure no-one has a particular issue with WebID as a term, or an underlying initiative and undertaking to achieve something, that people seem to understand, but disagree about the technicalities of how its achieved.  the approach i’ve suggested attempts to provide a practical solution, that might be capable of providing the necessary flexibility required by interested parties. </rant>

That’s all for now.  it’s taken a while to churn through this diligently, and i’m still going.  “in good faith"

Timh.

[1] https://sites.google.com/site/oauthgoog/gnubby
[2] https://fidoalliance.org
[3] https://github.com/Yubico/python-u2flib-server