Re: Loosely Coupled Identification and Authentication Demo

On 6/29/14 7:24 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> so there are, oh, 1 million office365 IDPs, at this point - each one
> oauth enabled.

Each of those is associated with a Microsoft Live account [1], so they
are already supported by our Virtualized Authentication Layer (VAL). The
same applies to YouID [2] where Microsoft Live functions as an Profile
Data Provider (PdP) and Identity Service Provider (IdP).

> And, Ill guess there are a million more, in the google world. IF GCHQ
> ever lets them free from surveillance, Yahoo will add more, I’m sure.
> Not rea`lly sure any of them are worth having, to be honest - being US
> firms that are “much afeared” - to cite a certain bard.
> We cannot have a “more” list of 3 million icons.

Certainly not, and that isn't the case re. VAL.

> And I have no intention of using an American brand (like Microsoft or
> Google, or ...l) for anything that has the slightest value.
>
> What do we do?
>
> Has the time come to change the game?
>
> The likelihood of me typing in a URI is zero. Given the MIcrosoft
> store of URI typed previously is shared between devices (and stored or
> controlled by a US/UK spying cloud), its compromised . So what do we do?
>
> Or should we just admit - the political web needs to be white-house
> aligned (as in the typical W3C position)?

A single identifier should be used as the object of a relation (i.e,
field value) that associates said identifier (http:, mailto: etc. scheme
URIs) with an authentication protocol.

There aren't a million authentication protocols :-)

Links:

[1]
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/sign-in-what-is-microsoft-account
-- Microsoft's OAuth 2.0 based Authentication .
[2] http://youid.openlinksw.com -- YouID app for iOS and Android
(Windows Phone and updated HTML version coming).

Kingsley