Re: WebID lack of adoption, was Re: Turtle and JSON-LD Matter

On 7/17/14 3:19 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>> httpRange-14 (and the resulting HashURIs) is a huge, huge barrier.
>>
>> httpRange-14 like many things that linger around RDF has more to do
>> with mangled narratives.
>>
>> Words and Terms are old concepts. Name->Address indirection is an old
>> concept.
>>
>> Denotation and Connotation are old concepts.
>>

> But they never occur in normal, mainstream programming.

True, and that's one source of many problems. Basically, declarative vs
imperative programming [1].

> When does a Java programmer, maybe working with SQL, ever think "here
> are my customer identifiers" and "here are my customer record
> identifiers"?    Never.  They have identifiers which they sometimes
> treat as identifying the customers and sometimes treat as identifying
> the customer records.
>
> If I read the WebID spec, it all goes pear shaped when we hit the
> diagram at the beginning of section 4.
>
> Instead of requiring a big diagram full of terms from philosophy, the
> relationship between a WebID and a person should be just this: a WebID
> is a URL of a person's profile document, where the profile document
> includes certain machine-readable information.
>
>> httpRange-14 is a horrible distraction. Much to really do about
>> zilch. IMO.
>>

> I see your advertized WebID is
> "http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this"
>
> To my eye, that's much too long and complicated.

The aesthetics of a WebID shouldn't matter. The HTTP URI should simply
resolve to something useful, in the relevant usage context. In an HTML
document, you won't even see
<http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> . Thus,
existing patterns for context menu interaction with anchors apply i.e.,
when require, you click or copy and paste said HTTP URI.

> I think we'd have much more success with WebIDs like:
> kingsley.idehen.net.

No.

The aesthetics don't matter.
<a
href="http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this">Kingsley
Idehen</a> is what will exist in an HTML document (which can be
generated by the server).

Web have 50 Billion+ triples in the LOD cloud cache we maintain, the
default interaction UI never displays raw HTTP URIs by default. It makes
use of annotation property based relations such as rdfs:label,
skos:prefLabel, skos:altLabel etc..

> (Or maybe kingsley.webid.idehen.net for branding purposes, but I lean
> against that.)
>
> That would be understood to be short for https://kingsley.idehen.net/

As per my comments above, this is the kind of premature optimization
that leads to problems. Aesthetics aren't the issue, raw URI visibility
is handled at a different level, by default <a/> in HTML.

> If we really, really have to have the identifier denote the agent
> instead of the agent's profile document, then we should just always
> append "#".

Yes, but again, that's all about aesthetics which isn't the big problem.

> Appending an arbitrary string like "#this" or "#me" or "#i" is
> mindbogglingly bizarre to most coders, in my experience.
>

>>> The reliance on RDF details and FOAF details is a huge barrier.
>>
>> Yes, but we don't really need FOAF.
>>
>> We don't need RDF notation specificity.
>>
>> We need to bring life to the concept combined with the abstract
>> language that is RDF.  Then we have an audience, because the
>> distracting notation (so called "concrete syntaxes" ) specificity
>> issues of yore get tossed aside.
>>
>>> JSON-LD and a new vocabulary (not foaf) could address this.
>>
>> Yes, we don't need FOAF specificity at all. There is nothing about a
>> profile document that's unique to FOAF bar the fact that its
>> existence provides read-to-use terms.
>>

>>> I think to move forward will require forming a happy working
>>> relationship with the kinds of folks who love h-card and maybe
>>> Mozilla Persona.
>>
>> Yes!
>>
>> That's achieved by reaching out style gestures. Simple example, give
>> JSON-LD and Turtle equal billing. Demonstrate via examples how RDF
>> statements can be constructed using a variety of notations:
>>
>> 1. POSH -- for the Microformats folks
>> 2. "Link:" in HTTP -- for the HTTP folks
>> 3. JSON-LD -- for Javascript Application Developers
>> 4. HTML+Microdata -- for Web Publishers who are driven by Search
>> Engine Vendor initiatives
>> 5. Turtle -- for Linked Open Data Developers and Users.
>>

> As long as we're willing to accept that implementing a Relying-Party
> is now much more complicated, I can live with this.

Perceived implementation complexity is a consequence of infrastructure
components confusion. For instance, we now have Dropbox, Google Drive,
OnDrives etc. offering storage services that offer at least 2GB of
storage at $0.00. They all offer APIs too. Net effect, making Identity
Cards today is much easier than it was a few years ago since storage and
application level services are now loosely decoupled.

Folks can save HTML+POSH, HTML+Microdata, HTML+RDFa, HTML+Turtle,
HTML+JSON-LD, Turtle, JSON-LD etc.. based content to documents are
locations provides by the services mentioned above. Apache (or other
HTTP server) configuration capability and costs are no longer part of
the deal.

> [...]
>>> dereference to return pretty much any syntax one wants, trying to
>>> point out allowing such proliferation of syntaxes is actually a huge
>>> problem.
>>
>> I see this as document content constructed using a variety of
>> notations. Anyway, Turtle and JSON-LD is always better than one or
>> the other, at this point in time.
>>

>>> I'm certainly NOT saying that by W3C procedure it's too late to
>>> change!   (WebID isn't even to the point in W3C process where there
>>> are any procedures, I suspect.)
>>
>> Okay.
>>
>> We agree.

>>> I don't happen to agree.   Or perhaps I don't understand.
>>
>> Hopefully my responses above bring clarity in regard to the statement
>> above.
>>

> Not entirely, but probably enough for the current purposes.

>>> Maybe you can explain this adoption-inertia idea in terms of the
>>> web's initial common image formats, GIF and JPEG? Things were very
>>> simple in the days of only gif.   But gifs were too darn big, so we
>>> needed jpeg.   Fortunately, browsers implemented support for both,
>>> so content providers could pick which ever they wanted. There were
>>> certainly other options (tiff? xbm? bmp?) but they were not widely
>>> implemented in the browsers, so content providers didn't use
>>> them.    (I was recently looking at a web page I made in about '93
>>> where for each image I provided links to the jpeg and the gif,
>>> because one still couldn't assume everyone could see both.)
>>>
>>> Things worked out fairly smoothly and fairly quickly because there
>>> was a small number of browser providers.
>>>
>>> If there had been 1000 equal size browser vendors, and some went
>>> with tiff and some xbm and some bmp, etc, we would have had a real
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I think with linked data clients, we're kind of still in that
>>> territory.    Without some sense of which formats folks should
>>> actually use, they could well become hopelessly fragmented, eg with
>>> some people one reading and writing RDF/XML, some only
>>> reading/writing Turtle, etc.
>>>
>>> Yes, eventually people will figure it out and coalesce around a
>>> couple of the most common, but why not save that hassle when there's
>>> consensus up front about which those are?

>>> I completely agree.    Personally, I'd be fine with giving JSON-LD
>>> equal status to Turtle.
>>
>> Yes, we agree.
>>

>>> Actually, I think probably the best option is mandating publication
>>> in JSON-LD and RDFa, in both cases with a syntax that hides the IRIs
>>> as much as possible.
>>
>> I wouldn't go over board re. hiding IRIs. They just need to be
>> understood.
>>

> More than understood, they need to be properly motivated.   Yes,
> people are fine with IRIs, as long as they actually provide some real,
> observable utility.   For example, an IRI for a JSON profile should be
> fine as long is it dereferences to some good documentation.

Yes.

Links:

[1] http://latentflip.com/imperative-vs-declarative/ -- Imperative vs
Declarative programming

[2] http://youid.openlinksw.com -- generates Identity Cards hosted on
the likes of Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive etc.. (making them Identity
Providers where Identity management is controlled by the user, not the
storage service provider).