Re: WebID lack of adoption, was Re: Turtle and JSON-LD Matter

On 17 July 2014 15:53, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'm certainly NOT saying that by W3C procedure it's too late to change!
> (WebID isn't even to the point in W3C process where there are any
> procedures, I suspect.)
>

>> I simply want adoption of these efforts. Thus, anything that leads to
>> broader adoption is good. Basing any RDF based spec on a single notation
>> via MUST always leads to the same adoption-inertia generating
>> misconceptions.
>>

> I don't happen to agree.   Or perhaps I don't understand.
>
> Maybe you can explain this adoption-inertia idea in terms of the web's
> initial common image formats, GIF and JPEG?    Things were very simple in
> the days of only gif.   But gifs were too darn big, so we needed jpeg.
> Fortunately, browsers implemented support for both, so content providers
> could pick which ever they wanted. There were certainly other options
> (tiff? xbm? bmp?) but they were not widely implemented in the browsers, so
> content providers didn't use them.    (I was recently looking at a web page
> I made in about '93 where for each image I provided links to the jpeg and
> the gif, because one still couldn't assume everyone could see both.)
>
> Things worked out fairly smoothly and fairly quickly because there was a
> small number of browser providers.
>
> If there had been 1000 equal size browser vendors, and some went with tiff
> and some xbm and some bmp, etc, we would have had a real problem.
>
> I think with linked data clients, we're kind of still in that territory.
>  Without some sense of which formats folks should actually use, they could
> well become hopelessly fragmented, eg with some people one reading and
> writing RDF/XML, some only reading/writing Turtle, etc.
>
> Yes, eventually people will figure it out and coalesce around a couple of
> the most common, but why not save that hassle when there's consensus up
> front about which those are?
>
>  As per my response to Andrei, for now, adding JSON-LD examples to the
>> relevant WebID-* documents is a useful tweak that will at the very least
>> get more JSON oriented developers to look at WebID-*.
>>

> I completely agree.    Personally, I'd be fine with giving JSON-LD equal
> status to Turtle.
>
> Actually, I think probably the best option is mandating publication in
> JSON-LD and RDFa, in both cases with a syntax that hides the IRIs as much
> as possible.
>
> We need to also be clear about how simple and small relying-party code can
> be.    Maybe we can say it has to include both a JSON-LD and an RDFa
> parser, in which case we could say that identity-providers only need to
> provide one or the other.
>
>  We can do better in regards to managing the non technical aspects of open
>> standards adoption. First step boils down to be more accommodating of other
>> notations for representing RDF statements. You can reduce the
>> adoption-inertia generating effects of MUST via lots of examples that

Agree with a lot of these points, but let me add:

There are more WebIDs out there than any other identity system, since
facebook serve WebID.

WebID + TLS is a nice experiment and useful as a proof of concept, and very
useful for testing, but I dont think anyone ever expected it to get a
billion users.

We need to do a lot more work on interoperabilty and demos before people
can really see the value added.