Re: [foaf-dev] Credentials Community Group

On 1 August 2014 23:10, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2014-08-01 16:21, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 8/1/14 3:57 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>

>>  Since Google can put *hundreds of people* on developing various
>>> browser/platform goodies while we appear not having a *single*
>>> browser-developer at our disposal (although our task is *much more
>>> difficult* than supporting "super-provider" schemes like Apple, Google or
>>> PayPal), I think we are currently pretty much stuck.
>>>

>> -1000
>>

> There's a simple explanation to why there are huge disagreements regarding
> this point:
>
> A bunch of people here want to build something based on the existing web
> technology and then get W3C's "Stamp of approval" as a part of their
> marketing of the software.  "We actually wrote the standard".

Everyone has different motivations.  Personally, I simply was searching for
a technology that would handle my use cases ie decentralized login and
payments.  To my complete amazement, no one had ever done that.  I never
dreamed I would be following standards work or interested in the semantic
web.  I understand your mindset, because I started as a sceptic, like most
web 2.0 developers, but it's only once I discovered what it was that I
realized it was the only technology that can handle the use cases I wanted,
namely to make a website without lock in that I'd be happy to use myself,
and that I'd be comfortable delivering to others.  Web payments + WebID is
pretty much the only way to do this, if another technology comes along
that's decentralized I'll happily use it, but I dont know of any other
group out there focussed on making truly decentralized, universal, modular
technology.