Re: security/privacy sections specs

On 14 October 2013 12:09, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I have added a security and a privacy section to the identity spec.
> I have added a security section to the tls spec.
>
> Also I have added a section "Prototype Spec" to the main page
>
>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/index.html

Looks excellent.

The security measures all seem to involve a degree of centralization.  e.g.
CA's have become a relatively centralized service in a distributed
architecture.  DNSSEC is augmenting the centralization of DNS, remember
Tim's comment, "DNS is the Achilles heal of the web" and be wary about
putting too many eggs in one basket.

In recent years a new technique has become more popular, and that is to
have decentralized distributed databases, that replicate data across many
nodes and sync up.  This is the technique behind ripple (consensus of 80%
of nodes) and bitcion (proof of work of millions of nodes).  The web is
quite capable of distributed triples in many places, so, although not
mentioned in the spec, perhaps in future we'll see more security that
avoids central points of failure.