Re: Webid Editor/Author issue

On 29 May 2013 12:46, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> [...]
>

> > On 29 May 2013 12:27, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 29 May 2013, at 12:00, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On 29 May 2013 10:29, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> made
> GnuPG

> for
> proof,

> helped host
> intervention.
> drafts,

> into a professional format.
> >>
> >> That may be. But that makes him a contributor, not an author or an
> editor. And so I have kept him as a
> >> contributor.

> >> He never joined as far as I recall, so he could not have left.

> adoption in the short to medium term, without the hard dependency on X.509
> certificates.  This was also the feedback we (Manu and I) got when speaking
> to Canonical on a conf call about getting WebID into Ubuntu.
> >>
> >> I was not at that call. So I am not sure what was said. Manu's aims
> were very different from what the group
> >> here was trying to do. His work may be compatible with what we are
> doing, as most standards in the end should
> >> be.
> >>
> >> From the normative webid site webid.info, if you click on spec you
> come to:
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/
> >>
> >> Authors:
> >>
> >> Manu Sporny, Digital Bazaar, Inc. msporny@digitalbazaar.com
> >> Toby Inkster
> >> Bruno Harbulot
> >> Reto Bachmann-Gmür
> >>
> >> The first draft of which was
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/drafts/ED-webid-20100711/
> >>
> >> Manu was the sole editor of this spec, with Henry and Toby as Authors
> >>
> >> Previous Version
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/foaf+ssl.html
> >>
> >> IMHO, the previous version was more a position paper than a
> specification.
> >>
> >> Significant edits were made in the following weeks, where stephane was
> also made an editor (and henry remained an author)
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/drafts/ED-webid-20100809/
> >>
> >> So, I think it was a slightly harsh decision to single him out.
> >
> > The edits are in the mercurial repository.
> > https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/log/6ec1b5126712/index-respec.html
> >
> > Different people contributed, manu integrated these contributions,
> > and his contributions were mainly editorial, not authorial.
> > And so he was listed as one of the editors on those specs.
> >
> > But since he has not contributed for the last three years, ( his last
> > contribution on July 2010 ) and was not present in the Incubator
> > we have put him as contributor.
> >
> > Unless one of us has travelled in time, I think you mean he HAS
> contributed in the last 3 years. :)
>
> Ok if you want to be picky: he has not contributed in the past 2 years and
> 10 months.
> The Incubator Group started on 14 January 2011

I'm not trying to be picky.  Just that your statement was inconsistent.
You may even note that Manu posted on the webid mailing list as recently
last month.

In a short space of time, Manu turned a collection of blog posts, wiki
pages and a position paper, into a spec.  Much of which survives today in
terms of structure, naming and definition.  He also provided an open source
implementation, and would have done much more, had there been a more
welcoming environment.

> So his last contribution was way before the start of this group.

And so?  The same is true of other authors listed.