Re: Archaic HTTP "From:" Header

Henry Story wrote:
> On 27 May 2013, at 14:29, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 27 May 2013 14:17, mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Register "webid" as a Link Relation Value and ese the LINK header as in
>> Link: <http://...." rel="webid">
>>
>> This will make sure you don't step on someone else's header, no-one will step our yours. This will also allow you to include it in the header and (when appropriate) include it within a message body.
>>
>> That could work so how about
>
> The text below looks good, but the question is what is the relation between the content sent and the
> WebID? A WebID is a URI denoting an Agent.
>
>  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
>
> But what the rel=.... requires is what you need to define. "rel" stands
> for _relation_ .
>
> You can use establised RDF relations such as
>
>   dc:author
>   dc:contributor
>   foaf:maker
>
> Using any of those in the link header comes down to saying respectively
>
> <> dc:author mywebid .
> <> dc:contributor mywebid .
> <> foaf:maker mywebid .
>

> Or you could use the existing relations in the registry
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml
>
> In short I don't think that WebID is a relation. It is a subset of URIs.

Same thing. The set of all URIs which denote agents is created by
looking at those uris which are related to some things by a relation
which implies they are of that set.

{ ?x foaf:maker mywebid . } => { ?x a :Agent }

+1 for mike's suggestion of a relation. It works, it's extensible, it
can be sub classed, and it doesn't encourage a plethora of additional
headers which have no bearing on the protocol (http). This is what Link
was made for, it works and there's no technical reason not to do it.