Re: WebID discussion in Debian

On 15 May 2013, at 12:02, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 May 2013 11:20, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> [continuing list+private, as I seem still blocked from the list]
>
> Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2013-05-15 09:48:44)
> > Para (1) -- Russ is correct ... if your HTTP URI is not https you can
> > be impersonated via MITM.  The natural conclusion is to think that you
> > need a CA certificate.  But that's only on first call, and assumes you
> > dont have a normative key cached.  Every time you notice a key change
> > you should be suspicious (as with SSH) ... but this is not documented
> > in the spec, afaik.
>
> So would the below - which I think is more clear also for the
> anti-CA-cartel people in Debian - be correct?:
>
> Yes, avoid unencrypted HTTP (i.e. https or .onion or some other mean),
> but no need to trust CA for the server cert: Similar to SSH you can
> instead maintain your own list of trusted certs (e.g. using
> Monkeysphere).
>
> http://web.monkeysphere.info/
>
> That's a nice way to put it yes.
>
> Side note: I *purposefully* use http and run the risk of MITM because there's not too much damage that can be done right now, and in the long term we want solutions that do not require the CA cartel.  I would use https currently for things like payments ontologies or identity providers and just pay a CA.
>

> [a few understood and agreed upon remarks skipped]
>
> > Para (4) -- WebID is about distributed identity.  WebID+TLS (which is
> > actually +FOAF+RSA) is one authentication method layered on top of
> > WebID.  People almost always couple the two together, and I dont think
> > the community really emphasises the value proposition of the
> > modularity.  This goes back to the days when WebID was called FOAF+SSL
> > ... today FOAF isnt mentioned in the core WebID spec.
>
> Now you got even me confused (so no doubt have lost most of Debian!):
> I've heard about FOAF+SSL and WebID, but not FOAF+RSA or WebID+TLS.
>
> So in TPAC 6 months ago we decided to split webid into two parts formally:
>
> 1. Webid -- Identity (for which there is a new spec)
> 2. WebID+TLS which is an authentication example.  Currently the WebID+TLS spec actually has dependencies on FOAF and RSA keys ... so technically it is more like WebID+TLS+FOAF+RSA

It helps to add links to the specs when mentioning these:
    https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html
    https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html

btw the link from from the current spec that points to the latest version points here:
   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/index-respec.html

It currently redirects after a few seconds to the tls-respec. Could someone
make a very nice version of that page so that it does not redirect but just points
to both specs with a short summary?  That would be very nice.